Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

To open or not to open?

Hey you guys - here's a ? for all of you, or more of an individual thing I guess.... Went down to Ky. this yr. and got some bottles signed .. eg.. 21 ec, (craig beam). rare breed ,and forgiven by Jimmy Russell. I keep thinking I should save them for investment reasons, but my taste buds keep saying open open .. the bottles are nothing you still can't get but the signature part has me wondering? What do you think? My favs are already the ec12,and more so the 18 when it was avail. I still have 1,-18,1-20.. unopen,but that's because I have a 20 open already. I know the 18's will be out again in the near future.. I hope.

Guru

Re: To open or not to open?

Squirism # 47 - Bourbon is an investment...in your future drinking pleasure.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

I'll toast to that!!! works for me..

Enthusiast

I would drink it if your inclined then save the empty.

Not sure of bourbon as an investment....

Connoisseur

The popular opinion on this board is that bourbon is sharing and drinking, enjoying...not for selling.

That being said, its your bottle, who am I to tell you what to do with it?? If you want to save them for resale at some point, do it !! I also dont think the autographs add any value, very cool to have, of course... just MHO
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Guru

I'm with Squire on this one! Whiskey is for drinking, whether it is now or some point in the future. To think of bourbon as a financial investment in any long term sense seems at best a crap shoot despite the price trends in the current environment. I have signed bottles that I have opened without hesitation.

Not sure Forgiven would have much more value no matter who signs it!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Open. There's no guarantee that this bourbon craze will last. 5 years ago there was no craze, and 5 years from now we might be back to where we were 5 years ago. Also, by the time you get around to selling, you will have been becoming better off anyway so that the return is unlikely to make a difference in your quality of life. But drinking good bourbon now? Enhanced quality of life!

Connoisseur

Even if I were to place value on scarce bottles (which I do, I suppose, I'm just not willing to pay for it), an autograph would mean very little to me. IF I were to pay a premium because of a signature I'd want some sort of guarantee of authenticity. I do like the collectible nature of signed bottles but only for more of a personal display, and since I'd use one as such I'd stick to the lower shelf bottles for those.

As for bourbon as an investment... ask everyone who collected baseball cards in the 90s how their 'investment' is doing. Sure, you might be able to flip bottles (for now... who knows how long that will last) but it's not for any significant, life changing amount of money.

Guru

That and it ain't quite legal to dabble in booze futures.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jwacky View Post
    Even if I were to place value on scarce bottles (which I do, I suppose, I'm just not willing to pay for it), an autograph would mean very little to me. IF I were to pay a premium because of a signature I'd want some sort of guarantee of authenticity. I do like the collectible nature of signed bottles but only for more of a personal display, and since I'd use one as such I'd stick to the lower shelf bottles for those.
    Agree

I know next to nothing about the world of collecting bottles of alcohol, but my guess is that anything that defaces the bottle (a signature is not part of the original packaging) also devalues it from an "investment" perspective.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire