Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 25

Disciple

Re: 25

They are both bourbon, so they are both great! It depends on the day of the week and/or your mood as to which is "better". Nobody but you can answer that question. I can tell you that if it says bourbon on it and it comes from one of the major producers, it is worth having on your shelf.

Connoisseur

I say EC12 because WT101 should only be about 15-20 dollar range.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Connoisseur

I'd take the right righteous reverend over the bird (101) any day.

Virtuoso

Toss up for me - like 'em both with a slight preference for the WT. And they cost the same here.
    Mark

Virtuoso

I didn't like the new WT 101, tried it in Tokyo. So would pick EC12 but never tried it either. Lol

Could I suggest OGD114
    Last edited by tigerlam92; 01-15-2014 at 18:44.

Advanced Taster

I like both but give the edge to EC12. Both are normally open on my bar.

Connoisseur

For 25 dollars I would look for Rollins Creek . . .

From Bourbon expert Robert Parker

"A sensational small batch bourbon, this fiery offering exhibits lots of apricot and orange marmalade notes intermixed with honeyed citrus. There is a bit of heat, but it is not that aggressive. Some peppery, earthy, smoky notes make for an impressive aromatic explosion. If the aggressiveness were toned down just a trifle, it would be even greater. 94 points"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    For 25 dollars I would look for Rollins Creek . . .

From Bourbon expert Robert Parker

"A sensational small batch bourbon, this fiery offering exhibits lots of apricot and orange marmalade notes intermixed with honeyed citrus. There is a bit of heat, but it is not that aggressive. Some peppery, earthy, smoky notes make for an impressive aromatic explosion. If the aggressiveness were toned down just a trifle, it would be even greater. 94 points"
    Nicely played!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bluffhunter View Post
    For $25 is Wild Turkey 101 or Elijah Craig 12 the better buy and why?
    EC12 @ $25 is a decent deal on a great bourbon

Connoisseur

Since we're throwing out random options... I'd go with BT or KC100 in the roughly $25 range.

KC giving what I think of the perfect, 100 proof, standard bourbon flavor. (100% opinion folks... obviously not stating as fact. Just think it offers a great no-frills punch, not a ton of caramel, not a ton of spice, just 'bourbon-y' if that makes any sense).

BT offers a vanilla sweetness, with this awesome leathery, earthy, rye spice that makes it pretty incredibly in this price range. Love this stuff. Some bottles (or my palate on given time-frames) seem a little too dry/earthy... but the best bottles offer a great vanilla sweetness up front like I mentioned earlier). I honestly don't know why I don't get back to it more.

My #1 favorite bourbon, with value included (under $25).... is still probably Fighting Cock. For years I thought it must be rot-gut, due to the logo, name, and price. But when I finally gave it a whirl...... WOW, what a value!!! I usually get a great caramel sweetness up front, with the rye kick, that somehow melds back to the sweet range again. I don't think I've ever gotten that sweet-spice-sweet from anything under $50 per bottle.

I keep crossing my fingers that these pours don't jump up too much in price (FC already jumped from $14.99 to $16.99 and BT from $19.99 to $22.99).... but the general trend these days is upsetting. Each of those are great values in their ranges... would be sad to see them either diluted or jump too far in the wrong price range.
    Last edited by JPBoston; 01-16-2014 at 23:27.