Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Jack Daniels gold medals

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    Except if his house burned down, it would still be covered by insurance and thus have a value. (I assume anyway, I can't say I've read the fine print on my policy.)
    That is true but most likely at retail unless you have some sort of rider on your policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru

My insurance providers require an appraisal for collectables.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Novice

Wow squire, was that so hard? Thank you for the straight forward answer that you all don't buy sell trade or swap on this site.

I have taken all the answers that have provided information to me thus far. I am merely continuing this conversation, it is a message board after all where people have discussions, to discredit being called a troll and the continuing misinformation and untruth that I am selling these.

Thank you too the people that have actually answered my question, or have attempted to.

Novice

Yes, collectables would need to be appraised and fully documented. All of my firearms had to be done this way to get then on my home owners policy. It was a lengthy process.

I'm gonna step in here as a member/moderator with a few comments. Please pay attention pass1over, any other inquisitive new members, and everyone else too.

Ever since ebay and "other" websites were shut down, or prohibited their sales of alcohol, we've had a large influx of new members. Most are legit, but many have come here, asked a few questions, then vanished. Or, they've asked some questions to get a "feel" for our site, then started posting about what they have, or might have access to, and what they think it might be worth, etc... etc… etc.... In other words, they're trying to be sneaky about it. They play all nice, and post thinly disguised comments that try to hide the fact they're probably only here to buy/sell/ trade. Like we don't have a clue. Things like this have been occurring here more and more frequently. The members here are only being protective of our site. Who can blame them?

When becoming a member here, a person agrees to the rules of our website as per the user agreement that everyone has to "sign" before joining. There are also any number of helpful hints and guidelines posted to help new members get acquainted with our site. One of these hints is for new members to fill out their profile with as much information as they can. In doing that, we can gain a better understanding of who that new member is, while that new member is getting to know our site and its members. If a person doesn't fill out their profile at all, what are we supposed to think?

Like Sailor 22 posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Not being rude here but if you had taken the time to explore the forum a little before you asked the question you would have noticed that it was unlikely you would get an answer here. There is no classified section but there is a search function.
    I'm sorry if you feel frustrated pass1over, but we get frustrated too. Hopefully some of the things I've posted will help you better understand things here.

Now, about your bottles. I pretty much agree with squire. Your bottles are basically worth what you paid for them. That being said, I have a friend who is a Jack fanatic. The oddball thing with JD is the bottles and not the contents. JD is pretty much JD, without too many variances. Most (but not all) JD bottles contain the same thing, just regular JD. What comes into play here, as you probably know, is all the specialty bottles JD has introduced over the years. Again going back to another thing sailor22 posted, there are JD collector sites that will probably be able to provide more detailed information for you. I hope this answers some of your questions, and has provided at least a little help.

Below is a pic of my friends Jack Daniels bar/man cave. Not everything he has is JD related. It's not the best pic, but you'll get the idea. It's also an old pic, and he has more "stuff" now. Just like a lot of us.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

I can understand about new influx of members and them being people trying to sell their stuff b/c of ebay and the likes' rules. Once I got in front of a computer, I was able to fill out my members profile. I registered last night, was granted access while I was at work, but internet on my phone has been sketchy all day after that update it installed last night. I am a real person, with a real love of bourbon. I collect things, I don't sell them, my wife hate's it. I guess you could call me a packrat of sorts, haha.

I was introduced to JD by my g/f (now wife) about 12 years ago. I was always, and still am, a beer drinker. My sergeant (we do Civil War Re-enacting) then introduced me to Turkey, and the love was created. So's, all I drink now is beer (brew my own) and bourbon (mostly WoodFord).

That's a hell of a cave. I really like the ceramic jugs and mugs you have on the shelves. The statue of Jack is a very cool center piece. I have a pic of my wife and I standing by the one at the distillery. That was an awesome trip.

That's actually my buddies mancave/bar. I wish it was mine. I just have a large hutch/server that I use as a cabinet for my bottles.

There are a couple of my bottles in that pic on the ledge at the far right. Weller 12 and Weller Special Reserve. My buddy and another guy are big Jack lovers. I alway bring bourbon to share with them, and a couple of other guys when we decide to have a get together.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by pass1over View Post
    My apologies for not making an intro thread, but I did make some kind of attempt to introduce myself.

You've never just wanted to know something to satisfy your curiosity?
    Your statement here makes it hard for me to understand. You say that your drink Woodford, so you are at least an American Whiskey fan. You also stated that you will never taste these bottles because you don't care for Jack.

I myself do not care for current Jack, BUT YOU HAVE WHISKEYS THAT ARE 100yrs OLD! You have no curiosity to pop the cork?!? No curiosity at all?!?

Sorry, but as a connoisseur of Whiskey, I do not understand your thinking.

Guru

Actually these are the Gold Medal series currently sold at the distillery gift shop. Other than the fancy bottle the contents are regular Jack Daniels whisky, sometimes at a bit higher proof than the regular stock.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I do, they're worth about what you paid for them.
    Yep...JD puts out a large amount of these bottles so they are not rare. I have purchased many and have drank them. If you pass these down the generation line...I believe in about 150-200years they will be rare and worth quite a bit more.