Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Er10 & bt

Connoisseur

Re: Er10 & bt

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    At those prices get both. You still paid less than for one NDP
    Not so fast squire. OE 101 here in Ohio is $14.50, give or take a few pennies depending on the county..and as you know, it gets lots of love here
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Advanced Taster

My view is that ER 10 is whiskey that didn't make the grade or taste profile to be bottled younger as Buffalo Trace. So it is aged a bit longer
    and sold as single barrel to those impressed by such nomenclature. I'll take the BT over ER 10 any time.

Taster

I think Buffalo Trace is more interesting and flavorful, but it's on the edge of nail polish for me. The esters I think make it nice, but a little too much for me. I don't get that in Eagle Rare, so I prefer that.
    My Whiskey Review Blog: Whiskey Lately

Taster

I think there is too much variability going on with BT distillary lately. The last 2 bottles of ER10 I had were fantastic and the standard BT was just horrible/ bitter and should have been dumped and its usually the one I prefer. Hit and miss lately so have been sticking to the WT line up and FR line up seem to be more consistent on thier products lately.

Guru

I have noticed in some, not all, bottles of regular BT an underlying mustiness that prevents me from making the brand a regular.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I have noticed in some, not all, bottles of regular BT an underlying mustiness that prevents me from making the brand a regular.
    I notice the same thing. I typically don't give BT or ER10 a second look unless they are store selects. While the store selects match the brand "profile," I generally find them to better offerings. Of course, you have to have confidence in the people picking the barrels. My last two ER10s (store selects) both were very good. I would compare them favorably to most offerings in $20 to $30 price range.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I notice the same thing. I typically don't give BT or ER10 a second look unless they are store selects. While the store selects match the brand "profile," I generally find them to better offerings. Of course, you have to have confidence in the people picking the barrels. My last two ER10s (store selects) both were very good. I would compare them favorably to most offerings in $20 to $30 price range.
    Agree with you and Squire- have had great experiences with BT store selects but not so much on the standard bottling - bitter finish. ER10 as a store select also has been winner, but much less variable if buying the standard bottling. I'll buy ER10 anywhere, but lately BT has to be a store select from a trusted source or I pass it by.
    Mark

Advanced Taster

I typically like ER10 better than BT, but in Atlanta - Buffalo Trace is a full $10 cheaper so I frequently reach for that one over the Eagle Rare. Also, seems to be much more private selections for BT over ER10. And I agree with others that have posted that private selections tend to be better tasting than the ones off the shelf.
    Drank a lot of whiskey
    It gives me such a glow
    It makes me quite immobile
    But it lets my feelin' show

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Renegator View Post
    I typically like ER10 better than BT, but in Atlanta - Buffalo Trace is a full $10 cheaper so I frequently reach for that one over the Eagle Rare. Also, seems to be much more private selections for BT over ER10. And I agree with others that have posted that private selections tend to be better tasting than the ones off the shelf.
    That has certainly been our experience here in Tallahassee. Our local retailer has picked dozens (literally) of barrels of BT (and quite a few ER). I do keep a bottle of OTS BT just for comparison and the barrel picks are delightful. I've never had a bad Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare. The bitterness noted earlier in the thread had never been noticed in these. Also .. I spend an inordinate about of time on the porch with lots of folks and I've never heard anything but praise for the BT and ER that is available there.

If you guys are through Tallahassee ... stop by the porch .. try it at The Lounge ... and then help yourself to a large selection of private barrel picks next door. And ... please ... take some time to visit with us on the porch for some good bourbons .. good cigars .. and good times! (BTW - I have no business interests in either of the aforementioned. I am, however, heavily invested in the private selections! )
    Jon