Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

John J. Bowman First Impressions

I just got my hands on a bottle. I opened it tonight, and so far it is awesome. I will try to post some additional notes later, but I wanted to open up a discussion. I read a lot of good reviews. For $44, I feel like it's very good.

Enthusiast

Re: John J. Bowman First Impressions

My only experience with this bourbon is barrel 45 from TPS. I thought it was awesome when I first opened it, but it went downhill as the bottle was consumed for some reason. Usually the opposite is true for me, and I find bottles improving with airtime.

I'm lucky to be in Virginia where it is readily available at the ABC stores as well as the distillery. This is a regular pour for me and one of my all time favorites. With the variability that comes from Single Barrels I have not had one that I did not enjoy thoroughly.

Novice

That is really surprising that it declined as the bottle was consumed - I'm very interested if the same thing happens for me. Like you, I usually find the opposite to be true. For example, I've recently been drinking some Old Scout 10 year and found this one dramatically improved after a few days. The Elijah Craig 21 did the same for me.

Advanced Taster

We get it here and it was recommended to me at my regular bottle shop. I picked up the Single Barrel and me and my son both like it very much. Picked up another bottle for the bunker last time I was at the shop.

Enthusiast

Definite fan of the SB at $45, and the SmB at $30 or whatever is good also. I am enjoying the 12 year Port finished limited edition as well, and I find it mingles very well 1:1 with the standard SB. I have an appreciation for what Bowman puts out--seems they care about their product.

Disciple

Can't get it in Indiana so I only have one bottle from a trip down to KY. It is a very good pour. I would love to try the TPS selection. It is the same mashbill as ETL. I like them both.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Can't get it in Indiana so I only have one bottle from a trip down to KY. It is a very good pour. I would love to try the TPS selection. It is the same mashbill as ETL. I like them both.
    Good info, didn't know it was the same mashbill as ETL. No wonder I like it! Big fan of ETL. Will likely pick up some more when possible.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Red One View Post
    Good info, didn't know it was the same mashbill as ETL. No wonder I like it! Big fan of ETL. Will likely pick up some more when possible.
    I believe they are both the lower rye mashbill #2. The difference is that the Bowman is distilled again at Bowman and aged in Virginia. Similar but different. Both are good!

Enthusiast

ETL uses BT's higher rye mashbill, which is #2.