Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

What Tequila Are You Enjoying Today?

After a nice hot day in the Sun, a Little Tequila seemed in order. I really enjoy a nice sipping tequila, and there are so many nice offerings available. Today, I went with a Clase Azul Reposado. Wonderfully juicy and very drinkable. Pulled a bottle out at our last Cinco de Mayo party, and even non-liquor drinkers were loving on it. How 'bout you? What Tequila are you enjoying these days?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Taster

Re: What Tequila Are You Enjoying Today?

Last night it was El Padrino Anejo and Senor Almendrado, an almond flavoured Reposado. Not sure tonight, I'll come up with something after supper.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    After a nice hot day in the Sun, a Little Tequila seemed in order. I really enjoy a nice sipping tequila, and there are so many nice offerings available. Today, I went with a Clase Azul Reposado. Wonderfully juicy and very drinkable. Pulled a bottle out at our last Cinco de Mayo party, and even non-liquor drinkers were loving on it. How 'bout you? What Tequila are you enjoying these days?
    I sure do love that Clase Azul Reposado too. You are quite generous to share it with non-liquor drinking friends, that's for sure!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    It is quite the little sweety, our little friend Clase Azul Reposado, but she certainly has her place now and again and that bottle sure is purdy! They do seem to be very fond of the tequila they make though. Of note the distillery (NOM 1416) is the same place they make Avion of "Entourage" fame and Casamigos, peddled by "the Clooney" et al.

I also just read in the K&L Wines Spirits Journal about the new Clase Azul Mezcal (Mezcal of course being the hottest "new" trend amongst the glitterati).

Sounds interesting but for $230????? Umm, no thanks.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

And completely forgot to mention that the Dulce Vida 100 pf tequila I had last week during the latest Wednesday tasting was surprisingly good and I thought it well worth consideration. Several months back we did a comparison with Chinaco blanco and anejo (I have the reposado as well but didn't include it in that tasting). Chinaco is one of the few blancos that I really enjoy on its own. It is a bit unique in that it is a "northern" tequila from the eastern coast of Mexico along the gulf coast, a region not connected with Jalisco at all.

Would love to try the extra anejo which is called Chinaco Negro but it is in Clase Azul Mezcal territory at around $200 if you can find it!
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 06-22-2015 at 07:49.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    And completely forgot to mention that the Dulce Vida 100 pf tequila I had last week during the latest Wednesday tasting was surprisingly good and I thought it well worth consideration. Several months back we did a comparison with Chinaco blanco and anejo (I have the reposado as well but didn't include it in that tasting). Chinaco is one of the few blancos that I really enjoy on its own. It is a bit unique in that it is a "northern" tequila from the eastern coast of Mexico along the gulf coast, a region not connected with Jalisco at all.

Would love to try the extra anejo which is called Chinaco Negro but it is in Clase Azul Mezcal territory at around $200 if you can find it!
    Just picked up a bottle of Chinaco blanco myself a few weeks ago but haven't gotten around to opening it yet. It was in a clearance bin and nearly $20 off so I couldn't pass it up.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Just picked up a bottle of Chinaco blanco myself a few weeks ago but haven't gotten around to opening it yet. It was in a clearance bin and nearly $20 off so I couldn't pass it up.
    I really enjoy the big agave notes and the fairly strong peppery character of it. Will be curious to know what you think. $20 off is pretty good. Sounds like about 50% off!

Guru

Indeed. I would never have paid $40 plus for it but was happy as a clam to find it for $22. There are other blancos that I quite like on their own such as El Tesoro and Fortaleza, among others, so I'm feeling confident that I'll really enjoy the Chinaco as well.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Indeed. I would never have paid $40 plus for it but was happy as a clam to find it for $22. There are other blancos that I quite like on their own such as El Tesoro and Fortaleza, among others, so I'm feeling confident that I'll really enjoy the Chinaco as well.
    Yes, those are both solid brands and I have some of the various reposados/anejos. But Chinaco blanco always seemed a bit better although as you note it is a bit pricey, especially as a mixer. So I generally just don't use it that way!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Sipping blanco tequilas is something that I have started trying only in the last year, or so. Totally new experience that I am still getting used to.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama