Have gotten into the habit of having a Wednesday tasting with the staff at a small but enthusiastic store I frequent. Since the owner is into it everybody gets a chance to play along. And it gives me a chance to try a few new things with a group of folks who are fellow enthusiasts so that we can compare impressions.

Wasn't sure where to put this so I ended up here. While bourbon commonly shows up at these mini events the tasting isn't always all bourbon or even all whiskey so I didn't want to put it in the tasting thread. But bourbon/whiskey tends to be a common theme.

The first occasion this year was January 8 but just now getting organized enough to post.

Wednesday tasting 8JAN14.JPG

This one featured Jefferson Rye 21, Vintage Rye 21, Fuenteseca Extra Anejo tequila from K&L, Ron Navazos Palazzi, Dos Maderas 5+5 rum and of course I wanted to share a bit of the SB HHSS with the gang.

Much as already been said about this exquisite HHSS bottle and it was the top pick of the day despite some interesting competition.

Next were the Jefferson and Vintage Rye. The Vintage was newly opened while the Jefferson had been open for a few weeks. The Vintage was interesting battle between wood and spice but seemed a tad closed initially. It will definitely need to be revisited. The Jefferson was much lighter with a mix of fruit and spice and very little wood, especially in comparison to the Vintage. Not sure how they came to be so different but they definitiely are. A Canadian versus a Kentucky source perhaps?

Ron Navazos Palazzi is a 5yo Caribbean rum that is then taken to Spain where it is finished in Oloroso sherry casks for 5 years. For me it was a solid second for the day. A delightful if pricey beverage. It was there primarily as a comparison to a new bottle to my collection, Dos Maderas 5+5 rum, received courtesy of the efforts of a fellow SBer. This is also a 5yo rum that is take to Spain where it is finished for 3 years in Oloroso sherry casks and then 2 additional years in PX sherry casks. While much less expensive than the Navazos it didn't have anywhere near the depth and showed a lot more plum/fig notes from the PX sherry. This kind of compounded the natural sweetness of the rum although it was not cloying and would make a very pleasant after dinner dessert drink if you want a bit more proof than a typical PX sherry. Also brings to ming the notion of blending a bit of rum and sherry on my own to see what might happen!

And finally shared a bit of the Fuenteseca tequila with the group. Made a few comments about it here already. Every one liked it, probably especially because they didn't have to pay for it!

Off ot a great start for 2014!