Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 128 of 128
  1. #121
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,532

    Re: Wednesday Tastings!

    An abbreviated tasting today as I was invited to attend a trade show by one of the local distributors. It featured beer, wine and spirits although the spirits they carry where a bit limited. Did get to try the CR Northern Rye and a wheat whiskey of some sort. The rye seemed decent. Michter's was there along with Angostura rum (where I ran into a fellow GBSer in the industry) and Cooper Spirits (L,S & B rye, Hochstadters Rock & Rye) who noted that the R&R may be going back to its original 98 proof. Don't know if it would also be going back to the age stated 6yo rye as well.

    Anywho, the tasting beforehand to get warmed up for the trade show featured a reboot of the Whistlepig blind tasting. I elected to go with a standard 10yo/100 proof and the original Boss Hog 12yo cut down to about 100 proof along with the Old World Madeira finish. IO was able to identify each one successfully and I think the Boss Hog was probably the most enjoyable with Old World second (clearly a different profile from the Canadian rye but with a nice earthy flavor presumably from the madeira barrel.

    Wednesday tastings 13MAY15 1.JPG

    Old World tasted fine but there wasn't enough for me to want to look for more at $120+. At $60-70 maybe I would consider it.

    I do think I am finding a bit of bitterness in the finish of all three, especially the regular 10yo, which I think may be possibly related to a medication I am taking. Need to get rid of the medicine and try again to see if it makes any difference!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  2. #122
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    949

    Re: Wednesday Tastings!

    Since I don't have any of these, when you have a chance, I'd like to know where you think the TPS pick sits within them.

  3. #123
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,532

    Re: Wednesday Tastings!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Tot View Post
    Since I don't have any of these, when you have a chance, I'd like to know where you think the TPS pick sits within them.
    As it happens I bought one before I left KY so I can check. But my recollection is it would be superior to Old World, especially given it is cask strength, and certainly better than the standard 10yo but I will need to go SBS with the Boss Hog to see how that plays out. May prove to be a "both good but in different ways" kind of thing!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  4. #124
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,532

    Re: Wednesday Tastings!

    Last few weeks something seems to have prevented the Wednesday tasting. We did do a blending of Angel's Envy for a store pick on June 3rd so I look forward to the arrival of that one. Finally got back to it this past Wednesday although even this one had to be a bit abbreviated as I was double booked with a scotch tasting that same evening. Good thing I have lots of training! And especially a good thing that Atlanta has Uber...

    So this week I had a couple of Arran's that I had not gotten around to so this was a good time to bring them out. One was an Amarone (Italian Dry Red wine) finish and one was a Sauternes finish. Both were NAS but were 100 proof. Didn't have a great comparison for the Amarone finish (If anyone knows where I can find a Glenmo Artein I am all ears!) but I did bring the Glenmo Nectar d'Or along for comparison.

    Wednesday tastings 17JUN15.JPG

    In addition to being NAS there was no clear indication of how long each of the Arran's had been finished. The Amarone finish had a rather peculiar orange appearance rather than more red like some port finishes (there was a port finish in this series as well but that wasn't available, at least not to me!). There had been a previous release of an Amarone finish in 2010 but this was a newer version. Something about it just did not quite work. I found little wine influence despite the fact that an Amarone uses grapes that are practically a raison when it is finally made into wine. The palate was OK and the finish was quite peppery. it was also a bit hot overall. A touch of water helped a little and alsp perhaps brought a bit of fruit to the palate and extended the peppery finish. Overall OK but not one I would seek out again.

    The Sauternes finish was a different story. The malt created a nice balance to the very evident sweetness of the Sauternes finish which had that lovely touch of rancio for me that extended into the finish. This was quite drinkable at proof and while water didn't hurt it really wasn't needed. Next time I suppose I should reverse the order and see if that makes any difference. The GlenMo was the typically smooth pleasant whisky with solid mouthfeel you come to expect and seemed much more refined. That was expected as this is a 10yo with 2 additional years of finishing while the Arran is most likely a bit younger. While I still enjoy the Glenmo it is a bit more of a one trick pony while the Arran just seemed like a bit more aggressive with nice interplay between the malt and the Sauternes finish. This one I would get again.

    We then moved on to a couple of beers including a new arrival from Terrapin called Maggie's Blackberry Cobbler Imperial Farmhouse Ale allegedly with a bit of graham crackers in it for good measure. I had high hopes for this one but Terrapin has been a bit hit or miss of late. According to the label this beer was "reminiscent of the smell of Granny's kitchen on a Sunday morning". Well, I think Granny must have been sloppin' the pig's that morning and then took her boots off when she started making this one. Any blackberry in there was hard to find and while the farmhouse smell wasn't hard to find the taste failed to really deliver. I don't know what they were going for but this one wasn't for me. It was weak and unremarkable. Another big miss for me.

    Then we finished up with another local brewery called Wild Heaven. This was their Heights of Civilization and the base was their Civilization Barley wine that had been finished for four months in Dulce Vida tequila casks. It just so happens that I have a bottle of Dulce Vida Anejo from their first release so naturally I had to bring it along! The beer was reportedly made with dried Prussian lemons, Iranian hibiscus, tart cherries, cranberries, and cocoa nibs that have been re-hydrated in Four Roses bourbon. The cocoa nibs led to a burst of chocolate on the palate this was truly surprising and delightful. I didn't really get any tequila influence nor did I expect to but a side of Dulce Vida anejo (a lovely tequila in its own right) really went nicely with this beer. Definitely worth looking for both although as I said the tequila was the inaugural release and the bottle appearance has since changed. Whether the tequila has changed I can't say.

    My work done here it was time to pack up and head for the scotch tasting which included a some very interesting bottles. We started with a Bruichladdich Legacy series 1 36yo (another low barrel proof whisky at 40.6 ABV that was very good), a 1977 26yo Fettercairn "Stillman's Dram" (so so), 1978 22yo Cadenhead bottling of Glengassaugh at 48.8 ABV (DENSE sherry from 22 years in a first fill sherry cask, practically tasted like sherry), a 1991 16yo Mannochmore at 56.3 ABV from Signatory, a 1984 22yo Convalmore from G&M at 52.2 ABV (quite nice but allas a dead distillery sine about 1985), an 11yo Longrow by Cadenhead (a bit incestuous!) and finally a 1998 8yo Ardbeg "Still Young" from the Young Ardbeg series (better than I had expected).

    The things I have to do on a Wednesday...

    Although you can probably understand why it took until Friday to post it!
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 06-19-2015 at 07:35.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  5. #125
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    326

    Re: Wednesday Tastings!

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Last few weeks something seems to have prevented the Wednesday tasting. We did do a blending of Angel's Envy for a store pick on June 3rd so I look forward to the arrival of that one. Finally got back to it this past Wednesday although even this one had to be a bit abbreviated as I was double booked with a scotch tasting that same evening. Good thing I have lots of training! And especially a good thing that Atlanta has Uber...

    So this week I had a couple of Arran's that I had not gotten around to so this was a good time to bring them out. One was an Amarone (Italian Dry Red wine) finish and one was a Sauternes finish. Both were NAS but were 100 proof. Didn't have a great comparison for the Amarone finish (If anyone knows where I can find a Glenmo Artein I am all ears!) but I did bring the Glenmo Nectar d'Or along for comparison.

    Wednesday tastings 17JUN15.JPG

    In addition to being NAS there was no clear indication of how long each of the Arran's had been finished. The Amarone finish had a rather peculiar orange appearance rather than more red like some port finishes (there was a port finish in this series as well but that wasn't available, at least not to me!). There had been a previous release of an Amarone finish in 2010 but this was a newer version. Something about it just did not quite work. I found little wine influence despite the fact that an Amarone uses grapes that are practically a raison when it is finally made into wine. The palate was OK and the finish was quite peppery. it was also a bit hot overall. A touch of water helped a little and alsp perhaps brought a bit of fruit to the palate and extended the peppery finish. Overall OK but not one I would seek out again.

    The Sauternes finish was a different story. The malt created a nice balance to the very evident sweetness of the Sauternes finish which had that lovely touch of rancio for me that extended into the finish. This was quite drinkable at proof and while water didn't hurt it really wasn't needed. Next time I suppose I should reverse the order and see if that makes any difference. The GlenMo was the typically smooth pleasant whisky with solid mouthfeel you come to expect and seemed much more refined. That was expected as this is a 10yo with 2 additional years of finishing while the Arran is most likely a bit younger. While I still enjoy the Glenmo it is a bit more of a one trick pony while the Arran just seemed like a bit more aggressive with nice interplay between the malt and the Sauternes finish. This one I would get again.

    We then moved on to a couple of beers including a new arrival from Terrapin called Maggie's Blackberry Cobbler Imperial Farmhouse Ale allegedly with a bit of graham crackers in it for good measure. I had high hopes for this one but Terrapin has been a bit hit or miss of late. According to the label this beer was "reminiscent of the smell of Granny's kitchen on a Sunday morning". Well, I think Granny must have been sloppin' the pig's that morning and then took her boots off when she started making this one. Any blackberry in there was hard to find and while the farmhouse smell wasn't hard to find the taste failed to really deliver. I don't know what they were going for but this one wasn't for me. It was weak and unremarkable. Another big miss for me.

    Then we finished up with another local brewery called Wild Heaven. This was their Heights of Civilization and the base was their Civilization Barley wine that had been finished for four months in Dulce Vida tequila casks. It just so happens that I have a bottle of Dulce Vida Anejo from their first release so naturally I had to bring it along! The beer was reportedly made with dried Prussian lemons, Iranian hibiscus, tart cherries, cranberries, and cocoa nibs that have been re-hydrated in Four Roses bourbon. The cocoa nibs led to a burst of chocolate on the palate this was truly surprising and delightful. I didn't really get any tequila influence nor did I expect to but a side of Dulce Vida anejo (a lovely tequila in its own right) really went nicely with this beer. Definitely worth looking for both although as I said the tequila was the inaugural release and the bottle appearance has since changed. Whether the tequila has changed I can't say.

    My work done here it was time to pack up and head for the scotch tasting which included a some very interesting bottles. We started with a Bruichladdich Legacy series 1 36yo (another low barrel proof whisky at 40.6 ABV that was very good), a 1977 26yo Fettercairn "Stillman's Dram" (so so), 1978 22yo Cadenhead bottling of Glengassaugh at 48.8 ABV (DENSE sherry from 22 years in a first fill sherry cask, practically tasted like sherry), a 1991 16yo Mannochmore at 56.3 ABV from Signatory, a 1984 22yo Convalmore from G&M at 52.2 ABV (quite nice but allas a dead distillery sine about 1985), an 11yo Longrow by Cadenhead (a bit incestuous!) and finally a 1998 8yo Ardbeg "Still Young" from the Young Ardbeg series (better than I had expected).

    The things I have to do on a Wednesday...

    Although you can probably understand why it took until Friday to post it!
    I tried the new Terrapin beer the other night and was also disappointed. I completely agree with your assessment

  6. #126
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,532

    Re: Wednesday Tastings!

    I did not expect this....

    Wednesday tastings 24JUN15 1.JPG

    But blind tastings are what they are!

    This week it was all about rye whiskey. Well almost!

    But first I picked up a bottle of the new CB 15th Anniversary Hedonism Ouindecimus. it is an all grain blend wih nothing under 20yo.

    17.6% North British 20yo from first-fill American standard barrels
    36.6% Port Dundas 25yo from rejuvenated hogsheads
    8.4% Dumbarton 28yo from American standard barrels
    19.4% Port Dundas 20yo from first-fill American standard barrels
    18% 32yo Loch Lomond mystery blended grain from American standard barrels

    I like the regular bottling of Hedonism on occasion, a nice light whisky, and really enjoyed a taste of the previous Hedonism Maximus which was a 70% 42yo Invergordon with 30% 28yo Carsebridge and anything but light! This bottling is completely different as you can see and is different from my recollection of the Maximus. Without having them side by side to compare it is hard to say which I liked better. The opening aroma was a huge hit of pencil shavings and maybe even a hint of the erasure as well! On the palate there was a nice full mouthfeel with a touch of sweetness that quickly evolves into an unexpected burst of spice. Unfortunately on the finish it started to fall apart with a very subtle and relatively brief finish. The spice lingers a bit but I really wanted more. Although very good this is not one I would seek again at the current price of $175 or more. I suspect the Maximus would have been the easy winner.

    So what didn't I expect? Well, the main event yesterday was a rye blind tasting featuring the new Michter's BP rye as the main attraction. The competition included a 110pf Willet 4yo rye, a Redemption 122pf 6yo rye (both MGP of course), the newish Woodford rye at 90.4pf, WT101 new version, and the last bit of a baby Saz bottle at 90pf that needed finishing off (it had not been that low very long). All the participants were pretty familiar with the five challengers but none had tried the Michter's before.

    Wednesday tastings 24JUN15 2.JPGWednesday tastings 24JUN15 4.JPGWednesday tastings 24JUN15 3.JPG

    There were four participants and despite being blind it was 4 of 4 for the Michter's in the end. The group also did pretty well at identifying all 6 whiskies (I had a hard time deciphering the Willet from the Redemption but my gut feeling proved right). The Michter's really was a well balanced whiskey. The baby Saz was second on most scorecards with some love for the Woodford and Redemption battling for third and fourth. The WT averaged a fifth place finish and it was the Willet that got almost no love at all (most felt it was overly hot in addition to the minty spicy component).

    We then paired the Michter's blind once again with a DSP354 Rittenhouse. While both were enjoyed the Michter's was easy to pick out as the favorite. It also really liked just a drop or two of water which made it even sweeter and "smoother". Several people also noted that the Michter's seemed to be a bit more like the Woodford Rye, but with a touch less grainy character than I find in the Woodford (which for me at least was easily the most recognizable rye in the bunch).

    My sense is the Michter's is a bit older than 4yo and more likely falls in the 6yo range. It might be interesting to try with the upcoming Pikesville rye as well as the 6yo Russell's Reserve rye and the NAS but presumed older Knob Creek rye. Perhaps it would even be a worthy competitor with Handy in a blind test. Something to keep in mind for the future!

    So is it worth the $70 plus price tag? Remember that the Redemption is already at $60. It still seems a bit high to me but, like the Redemption, at around $50 this would be a pretty good option to me!

    Then of course as we often do we finished up with a bit of dessert.

    Wednesday tastings 24JUN15 5.JPG

    Tinder is a newish rauch or smoked beer from the Crooked Line series by Uinta at 6.5 ABV. The Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen, at just 5.4 ABV, is generarally regarded as the gold standard for the style. This one had been in my possession for awhile (at least a couple of years I would guess) although it was refrigerated for much of that time. There was little comparison between the two. The Tinder, while an odd and somewhat interesting beer, is not one I would seek out again. It had an odd wet ash kind of flavor and smell with a bit of faintly bacon greasiness in the palate. There was no real smoke component at all. The Marzen was a classic moderately bitter, smokey beer despite its age and enjoyable if you like that style. Perfect with a smokey brisket!

    Finally we finished up with the new Terrapin Side Project #25 Liquid Lunch Peanut Butter & Jelly Porter at 7.7ABV. Strong peanut butter on the nose with just a hint of jammy strawberry (even though it is made with raspberry). But on the palate the Jammy taste tends to dominate with a nice sweet tart strawberry taste. I suppose the raspberry adds the tartness. Although a bit malty there was very little porter malty richness to the body of the beer. Very interesting and the brewers should be complimented on getting both flavors in one bottle. Not one I would drink often but interesting all the same.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  7. #127
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    93

    Re: Wednesday Tastings!

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I did not expect this....

    Wednesday tastings 24JUN15 1.JPG

    But blind tastings are what they are!

    This week it was all about rye whiskey. Well almost!

    But first I picked up a bottle of the new CB 15th Anniversary Hedonism Ouindecimus. it is an all grain blend wih nothing under 20yo.

    17.6% North British 20yo from first-fill American standard barrels
    36.6% Port Dundas 25yo from rejuvenated hogsheads
    8.4% Dumbarton 28yo from American standard barrels
    19.4% Port Dundas 20yo from first-fill American standard barrels
    18% 32yo Loch Lomond mystery blended grain from American standard barrels

    I like the regular bottling of Hedonism on occasion, a nice light whisky, and really enjoyed a taste of the previous Hedonism Maximus which was a 70% 42yo Invergordon with 30% 28yo Carsebridge and anything but light! This bottling is completely different as you can see and is different from my recollection of the Maximus. Without having them side by side to compare it is hard to say which I liked better. The opening aroma was a huge hit of pencil shavings and maybe even a hint of the erasure as well! On the palate there was a nice full mouthfeel with a touch of sweetness that quickly evolves into an unexpected burst of spice. Unfortunately on the finish it started to fall apart with a very subtle and relatively brief finish. The spice lingers a bit but I really wanted more. Although very good this is not one I would seek again at the current price of $175 or more. I suspect the Maximus would have been the easy winner.

    So what didn't I expect? Well, the main event yesterday was a rye blind tasting featuring the new Michter's BP rye as the main attraction. The competition included a 110pf Willet 4yo rye, a Redemption 122pf 6yo rye (both MGP of course), the newish Woodford rye at 90.4pf, WT101 new version, and the last bit of a baby Saz bottle at 90pf that needed finishing off (it had not been that low very long). All the participants were pretty familiar with the five challengers but none had tried the Michter's before.

    Wednesday tastings 24JUN15 2.JPGWednesday tastings 24JUN15 4.JPGWednesday tastings 24JUN15 3.JPG

    There were four participants and despite being blind it was 4 of 4 for the Michter's in the end. The group also did pretty well at identifying all 6 whiskies (I had a hard time deciphering the Willet from the Redemption but my gut feeling proved right). The Michter's really was a well balanced whiskey. The baby Saz was second on most scorecards with some love for the Woodford and Redemption battling for third and fourth. The WT averaged a fifth place finish and it was the Willet that got almost no love at all (most felt it was overly hot in addition to the minty spicy component).

    We then paired the Michter's blind once again with a DSP354 Rittenhouse. While both were enjoyed the Michter's was easy to pick out as the favorite. It also really liked just a drop or two of water which made it even sweeter and "smoother". Several people also noted that the Michter's seemed to be a bit more like the Woodford Rye, but with a touch less grainy character than I find in the Woodford (which for me at least was easily the most recognizable rye in the bunch).

    My sense is the Michter's is a bit older than 4yo and more likely falls in the 6yo range. It might be interesting to try with the upcoming Pikesville rye as well as the 6yo Russell's Reserve rye and the NAS but presumed older Knob Creek rye. Perhaps it would even be a worthy competitor with Handy in a blind test. Something to keep in mind for the future!

    So is it worth the $70 plus price tag? Remember that the Redemption is already at $60. It still seems a bit high to me but, like the Redemption, at around $50 this would be a pretty good option to me!

    Then of course as we often do we finished up with a bit of dessert.

    Wednesday tastings 24JUN15 5.JPG

    Tinder is a newish rauch or smoked beer from the Crooked Line series by Uinta at 6.5 ABV. The Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen, at just 5.4 ABV, is generarally regarded as the gold standard for the style. This one had been in my possession for awhile (at least a couple of years I would guess) although it was refrigerated for much of that time. There was little comparison between the two. The Tinder, while an odd and somewhat interesting beer, is not one I would seek out again. It had an odd wet ash kind of flavor and smell with a bit of faintly bacon greasiness in the palate. There was no real smoke component at all. The Marzen was a classic moderately bitter, smokey beer despite its age and enjoyable if you like that style. Perfect with a smokey brisket!

    Finally we finished up with the new Terrapin Side Project #25 Liquid Lunch Peanut Butter & Jelly Porter at 7.7ABV. Strong peanut butter on the nose with just a hint of jammy strawberry (even though it is made with raspberry). But on the palate the Jammy taste tends to dominate with a nice sweet tart strawberry taste. I suppose the raspberry adds the tartness. Although a bit malty there was very little porter malty richness to the body of the beer. Very interesting and the brewers should be complimented on getting both flavors in one bottle. Not one I would drink often but interesting all the same.
    Great review. Thanks for the notes. I'm looking forward to trying my bottle of Michter's even more now.

  8. #128
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,532

    Re: Wednesday Tastings!

    Quote Originally Posted by meadeweber View Post
    Great review. Thanks for the notes. I'm looking forward to trying my bottle of Michter's even more now.
    I was a skeptic at best so I was surprised at how good it was and especially that it stood out above the other ryes we tried against it.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout On Tap Wednesday
    By OscarV in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 17:49
  2. Anyone going to Wednesday's WhiskyLive in NYC?
    By mrviognier in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 19:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top