Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Enthusiast

Re: Wednesday Tastings!

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    All bourbon this week as we focused on the recently arrived GBS Four Roses picks and the Russell's Reserve store pick that just arrived.

Attachment 19059

After a little break we moved on to the GBS Four Roses barrel picks, a 9+ yo OBSK and an 11+ yo OESO, with a 2013 LE 13yo OBSK thrown in for comparison. The OBSK seemed to have tons of fruit up front but was well balanced and kind of evolved on the palate to a bit of spiciness on the finish and a really nice thick mouthfeel and good long finish. The 2013 SBLE also had a tendency to change character on the palate and even from sip to sip with perhaps a bit more wood as expected but plenty of balancing sweetness and an even longer finish than the GBS OBSK. Very nice indeed. A bit of heat at the end but just a touch of water worked wonders. The OESO was a bit different with sweetness up front again that changed to a drier finish with an interesting herbal note in the finish. Not spicy but pleasant all the same. Can't recall if this was the case when we picked it but it was perhaps my favorite at that time, even over the OBSK.

Finally for a bit of variety we finished up with the always pleasant store pick barrel 666 "Devil's Batch". Still spicy and yet very easy to drink. This was compared to a TPS 10yo barrel 362 which is of course a different mashbill from the Devil's Batch. This one has a really nice chocolate note on the palate and finish that lingers for awhile. Both are delightful.

All in all a pleasant day! Next week we will likely swing back to the dark side with some unusual barrel finished malts like the Amarone finished Arran and perhaps a Sauternes finished Caol Ila among the options. Unless something else comes along...

Thanks for the tasting notes Bruce, and especially on the GBS FR picks. Can't wait to pick these up on Saturday and give them a try.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    Thanks for the tasting notes Bruce, and especially on the GBS FR picks. Can't wait to pick these up on Saturday and give them a try.
    I think you are going to like them both!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Just found this thread. Damn, Bruce - nice work. I like those guys over at DBH. So far I've picked up a bottle of their Four Roses OBSO which is my favorite recipe, SOAS 8 year which is fantastic and just picked up the Russell's Reserve store (and Bruce) selection that I haven't opened yet. Thanks for the notes on their Tequila selection - I've been thinking about picking up a bottle. I'm not a huge Tequila guy but my wife loves it and I gotta keep her happy.
    Drank a lot of whiskey
    It gives me such a glow
    It makes me quite immobile
    But it lets my feelin' show

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Renegator View Post
    Just found this thread. Damn, Bruce - nice work. I like those guys over at DBH. So far I've picked up a bottle of their Four Roses OBSO which is my favorite recipe, SOAS 8 year which is fantastic and just picked up the Russell's Reserve store (and Bruce) selection that I haven't opened yet. Thanks for the notes on their Tequila selection - I've been thinking about picking up a bottle. I'm not a huge Tequila guy but my wife loves it and I gotta keep her happy.
    I suppose I should (modestly, of course) note that I also got to have a small hand in picking out that 8yo Old Scout batch 666.That one flew off the shelves!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I suppose I should (modestly, of course) note that I also got to have a small hand in picking out that 8yo Old Scout batch 666.That one flew off the shelves!
    I tried to pick up a bottle of this after tasting John's a few weeks ago but It was long gone. I thought it was fantastic.

Guru

No tasting last week as one of our main participants was on the DL and this week it got cancelled by the cannonball run up to Cox Creek yesterday to pick out a Four Roses barrel. Hopefully back in action next week with a comparison of some barrel finished Masterson's rye.

Guru

Finally back on track, at least for a couple of weeks. This week featured a new Masterson's Rye whiskey store pick that had been finished in French oak for a period of time (I can't recall how long). I was able to participate in the sample tasting and the whiskey selected had been my top choice.

But before we got into that I brought along a bottle of the Jeff Ocean I and II as the store had been approached about possibly doing a barrel of the Jeff Ocean II. I didn't think it was a good choice but wanted to give the owner a chance to decide for himself. Of course a single barrel sample might prove to be a particularly good barrel but the price point seemed a bit much for what you got for the mystery whiskey (likely MGP but unknown mashbill) you were getting.

The Ocean I is now getting to be a couple of years old and is only about half full. It seemed perhaps a little diminished from what I remember but I had not tried it in a while. Even so it was darker, despite the lower proof, and more interesting than the Ocean II. The Ocean II wasn't bad but it wasn't particularly noteworthy either and at a $60 or so the price point just didn't seem like a good option for a barrel selection. With the Russell's Reserve still available, the Masterson's Rye just in and a FR OBSV 100 proof pick on the way I think not pursuing this one is a good decision.

Then it was on to the Masterson's. These were not done blind although the bottles are very similar and we tried not to pay attention to which one we were drinking until the end. We had four options to compare, an original Batch 3 rye, a store pick of the French Oak finish from a nearby store (Batch 8, Barrel 24), our store pick of the French Oak finish (Batch 1?, Can't recall the Barrel) and a store pick from TPS that was finished in American Oak instead of French Oak (Batch 6, Barrel 6). All are at 90 proof and except for the original basic Masterson's they were newly opened bottles.

The basic Masterson's was pleasant as always. A nice honey and caramel nose and palate with a bit of spiciness in the finish. Not outstanding but very serviceable.

The Batch 8 store pick from the other store was a good bit drier with a lingering herbal, earthy finish and a bit more spiciness in the finish although it was similar to the basic Masterson's.

Our pick, no doubt with some bias, was similar to the other store but of course so much better! It had a better oily mouthfeel, was drier like the other French Oak finished bottle but had more of the earthy "burlap bag" rye taste that popped up in the back of the palate and then finished with the same spicy finish although it was slower to build as the rye burlap earthiness slowly faded. Really nice I thought and a bit more complex than the competitors pick.

And then came the American Oak finish pick from TPS. I think this one came from another planet! A really interesting, and to me good, if very different planet. The nose exploded out of the bottle with this kind of candied orange/pine needle/sassafras tea kind of personality. I have no idea where that came from! Despite the nose it was initially drier than expected, more similar to the French oak finshed bottles. And then that candied orange/pine needle/sassafras tea flavor just EXPLODED on the back of the palate. That flavor lingered pleasantly on the palate for a long time and that same moderate spicy note tried to struggle up through it in the finish but had to fight is way out. Perhaps not your every day drink but I at least found it really interesting as did everyone else.

It appears it is still available at TPS and on sale I might add (I can see where this might be a tough sell to the average drinker) so those who are nearby might want to at least try a taste at the very handy TPS spirits library to see if it might catch your fancy.

We threw in the WhistlePig as a comparison at the end but it was like drinking tea by this point. Just didn't hold up against all that flavor.

In the course of all this a local distributor delivered several Kavalan whisky's to the store so we figured what the heck, let's throw these in too! After a brief break to "refresh the palate" with water and crackers we went back to work. The basic single malt was very much like a Highland/Speyside dram, especially considering their reportedly very young age, with some nice honeyed fruit notes and a very pleasant finish but perhaps not the best QPR. The King Car whisky is a slightly different blend of barrels (8 different woods reportedly) and is a more refined and mature tasting version of the regular single malt but it is pricey as well at around $100. As a sucker for different whisky from around the world I ended up bringing the King Car Whisky home with me.

And then, after another break, for dessert we popped open the newly acquired Willett 7 and 11yo from P&M. These are big whiskies and the 7yo had nice caramel and almost chocolaty notes but was also quite hot at full proof so it worked best with a splash of water. OK, maybe two splashes! The 11yo was a bit drier and more mature with a more cinnamon dominated flavor to me and was much more drinkable at proof although a bit of water didn't hurt either. I will look forward to exploring these again when the palate is a bit "fresher".

All in all a good afternoon and a nice return to the Wednesday tasting!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

A bit of a mish mash this week with rum, rye and poitin in the mix.

Wednesday tastings 03SEP14 4.JPG

With the long awaited arrival of my private little stock of HW Mid Winter Nights Dram it of course had to be the featured bottle this week. It was compared to a standard Rendezvous and a Rendezvous from a local shop that was released a while back and had been finished for 29 months in refill bourbon casks. Decided this was a good reason to finally break open my last bottle of the H&F Rendezvous!

Wednesday tastings 03SEP14 2.JPG

The standard Rendezvous was solid as usual but did not measure up to the H&F bottle for depth and complexity. The finishing really seemed to bring it to a new level. Then the MWND pretty much stepped it up another level over the H&F bottle (and was the best of the day by far). Earthy fruity port influence dominated with a nice sweetness on the tip of the tongue and lots of spice and raison-y fruit in the back of the palate and finish. Very nice indeed.

We had tasted a few Masterson's a couple of weeks ago and a pick from the Party Source had this really interesting candied orange flavor that I had enjoyed. A fellow SBer was passing through TPS recently so I asked them to pick up another but it seems it was a different store pick. The new one was fine but nothing like the candied orange bottle unfortunately.

We then moved on to the three poitin's. The Teeling was recently acquired from Ireland while the two Glendalough's are both available in the US now. The Teeling is a blended whiskey mashbill of 80% corn and 20% malt from Cooley bottled at 123 proof while the Glendalough is from a newer small distillery that uses malted barley and beets of all things. The Glendalough's are then "briefly" aged in "virgin Irish oak". One is bottled at 120 pf or "Mountain Strength" while the other is finished briefly in sherry casks and bottled at a thin 80 pf. The Teeling was fresh and bright with a nice sweetness and easy drinkability with a goodly dash of malt grain flavor. Unfortunately the higher proof Glendalough smelled rather strongly of fermented sweaty socks and didn't taste much better. Not one I can recommend. The thinner sherry finished version was less overwhelming but the hint of sock was still there and there wasn't enough influence from the sherry cask, which was either a bit weak, was overwhelmed by the socks or just wasn't finished very long (probably some combo of all three) to really salvage it. Oh well, at least they weren't super expensive.

Finally we finished the day with some rum. The Samaroli Demerara 16yo is a 90 proof single barrel rum from the Versailles single wooden pot still that went head to head with the El Dorado 15yo which is a blend of rums from several stills lwhich includes at least some rum from the Versailles still. The difference is you can expect to find sugar and coloring in the El Dorado. And the Samaroli is aged and bottled in Scotland where the temperature is likely to be slightly less than Guyana! The El Dorado is sweet and pleasant as always while the Samaroli is definitely drier and more whiskey like with a slight acetone note in the nose and on the finish. Somewhere down deep one might be able to find the connection between these two but the paths they took to get to the bottle were clearly very different.

The Samaroli Caribbean 2003 is a disguised Cuban rum at 90 proof and aged 10 years in Scotland before being bottled from 2 barrels. It was compared to the Havana Club Anejo Reserva which is a Cuban rum blended from various unstated ages of rum. The Samaroli was again drier and a bit more like whiskey and was a very pleasant drinking rum. I preferred it to the younger blended HC. But neither of the Samaroli's really stood up and distinguished themselves as something special to me that warranted the cost. If you have an itch to try Cuban rum then the Caribbean 2003 will at least be able to help scratch it a bit.

Wednesday tastings 03SEP14 3.JPG

We then finished up with a new special bottling of Imperial Pumpkin Pie Porter from Terrapin. Maybe this was a bad choice to try after whiskey and rum but I found it to be middling porter with little or no pumpkin flavor to set it apart. It was disappointing at best to me.