Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Guru

Re: Wednesday Tastings!

An abbreviated tasting today as I was invited to attend a trade show by one of the local distributors. It featured beer, wine and spirits although the spirits they carry where a bit limited. Did get to try the CR Northern Rye and a wheat whiskey of some sort. The rye seemed decent. Michter's was there along with Angostura rum (where I ran into a fellow GBSer in the industry) and Cooper Spirits (L,S & B rye, Hochstadters Rock & Rye) who noted that the R&R may be going back to its original 98 proof. Don't know if it would also be going back to the age stated 6yo rye as well.

Anywho, the tasting beforehand to get warmed up for the trade show featured a reboot of the Whistlepig blind tasting. I elected to go with a standard 10yo/100 proof and the original Boss Hog 12yo cut down to about 100 proof along with the Old World Madeira finish. IO was able to identify each one successfully and I think the Boss Hog was probably the most enjoyable with Old World second (clearly a different profile from the Canadian rye but with a nice earthy flavor presumably from the madeira barrel.

Wednesday tastings 13MAY15 1.JPG

Old World tasted fine but there wasn't enough for me to want to look for more at $120+. At $60-70 maybe I would consider it.

I do think I am finding a bit of bitterness in the finish of all three, especially the regular 10yo, which I think may be possibly related to a medication I am taking. Need to get rid of the medicine and try again to see if it makes any difference!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Since I don't have any of these, when you have a chance, I'd like to know where you think the TPS pick sits within them.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Tot View Post
    Since I don't have any of these, when you have a chance, I'd like to know where you think the TPS pick sits within them.
    As it happens I bought one before I left KY so I can check. But my recollection is it would be superior to Old World, especially given it is cask strength, and certainly better than the standard 10yo but I will need to go SBS with the Boss Hog to see how that plays out. May prove to be a "both good but in different ways" kind of thing!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum