Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Guru

Re: Wednesday Tastings!

Quote Originally Posted by amg View Post
    I got an email from a local offering the 10yr redemption BP at $150, and at first I thought they were gouging, but turns out that's the going rate. I passed.
    Yes, starting to think Redemption belongs in the Willet XCF exclusionary zone! Not only not interested in the 10yo BP but it makes me less interested in Redemption in general. Not that I really ever was except for the 6yo BP (which I recall thinking also seemed absurdly high at around $60 when it first came out but now sadly seems to be getting to be the norm).
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Re: Wednesday Tastings!

Couldn't let this week go by without a belated salute to St. Patrick's Day! So we repeated the blind side by side from the GBS Irish Whiskey night. Unfortunately we didn't have any delicious corned beef sliders to kick off the afternoon.

Wednesday tastings 18MAR15 1.JPG

So first up was the three Tyrconnell single malts with different finishes, sherry, port and madeira.

Wednesday tastings 18MAR15 2.JPG

Although this was blind I had the advantage of having just tried them. The sherry again had the most powerful nose but the favorite of the three was a bit of a toss up between the port and the madeira. The madeira won again for me with its nice but subtle sweetness on the palate and a much longer, drier, nutty finish as compared to the port. The port had more fruit but the finish just didn't hold up as well.

Wednesday tastings 18MAR15 3.JPG

Next we slipped across the Irish Sea and over to Scotland for three different Mortlach offerings. The newly acquired Mortlach 86 proof 16yo "Flora & Fauna" bottling, a rare original distillery bottling of Mortlach before it got turned into a "superlux" bottling, was paired up with a Gordon & MacPhail 15yo at 86 proof and a single cask of 18yo from the Exclusive Casks line at barrel proof (108.6). The F&F was the darkest by far and it seemed likely that some coloring was involved (It is Diageo after all). This was not blind but it was immediately apparent that the cask strength offering was the superior whiskey which was not that big a surprise. A nice sweet but not overly strong sherry influence overlying a lovely mature tasting malt. The G&M was not far behind but a bit thin in comparison. Sadly it was the 16yo F&F that really failed to impress. Dull and tired tasting with none of the fullness and flavor of the other two. As the only newly opened bottle of the three I can only hope this bottle needs a little time to blossom but it was disappointing to be sure.

Wednesday tastings 18MAR15 4.JPG

We then moved on to a few beers to include the new Sweetwater 18th Anniversary Belgian Tripel style (10%ABV). Adequate but nothing to really recommend it and a far cry from Karmaliet tripel or a trappist tripel like Westmalle or Chimay and just about as pricey. Next up was a side by side of the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine and the new barrel aged Bigfoot barleywine (12.2%). The barrel aged version was perhaps a slight improvement with some wood notes and a bit more caramel but not a big difference. Perhaps a little time will help this one improve. Finally we finished with an Innis & Gunn stout aged in Irish whiskey casks versus the stout aged with bourbon barrel "chips" (Seems like a lot of the I&G beers are going to chips as barrels get more expensive and hard to find). I preferred the Irish Whiskey cask version which seems a bit sweeter and yet more robust than the bourbon chip version. Both were at 7.4%ABV.

About that time the reps from Macallan and Highland Park wondered in and we had to force ourselves to drink a bit more whisky. But they didn't really have anything new or exciting (Mac 12, HP 12 and Dark Origin) which was a bit disappointing. Still, we were polite and drank their whisky!

All in all, another fine Wednesday afternoon!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum