Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knob Creek Rye

Disciple

Re: Knob Creek Rye

I received a Ri1 for x-mas, and planned on making Manhattans with it. Once I did, the drinks showed no Rye characteristics at all. Made a few versions, and the spirit was always lost. (And I make strong drinks.) I finally choked down the rest of the bottle by pouring it over ice. I guess it ended up working as a maintenance drink. I wish Suntory would hurry up and get here.

Guru

Didn't Beam initially promote Ri1 as a cocktail whisky?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Overholt and JB Rye positively bore me to tears. Ri1 did at first too, but it grew on me. Particularly, as I bought it at $19.99, instead of $49.99... Seriously though, it definitely has more depth and fullness to the OO and JBR. My bottle of KC Rye was a very pleasant and surprising development. The proof and age really gave it a significant boost over other Beam ryes, and I likened it WTR 101 in oomph factor. I like punch me in the nose and make my eyes water type of ryes, and IMO the KCR did that for me. Interestingly enough, I haven't purchased another bottle, though I am tempted often, due to the price. I danged near did last week, and may decide to this week, however.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Overholt and JB Rye positively bore me to tears. Ri1 did at first too, but it grew on me. Particularly, as I bought it at $19.99, instead of $49.99... Seriously though, it definitely has more depth and fullness to the OO and JBR. My bottle of KC Rye was a very pleasant and surprising development. The proof and age really gave it a significant boost over other Beam ryes, and I likened it WTR 101 in oomph factor. I like punch me in the nose and make my eyes water type of ryes, and IMO the KCR did that for me. Interestingly enough, I haven't purchased another bottle, though I am tempted often, due to the price. I danged near did last week, and may decide to this week, however.
    Ri1 could not find my Joey button, or anyone else's button, for that matter.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Ri1 could not find my Joey button, or anyone else's button, for that matter.
    It's a one of a kind, I'm afraid.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

I almost picked up an (ri)1 today just because I thought "For $20, how BAD could it be?"
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I almost picked up an (ri)1 today just because I thought "For $20, how BAD could it be?"
    Only one way to know...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Only one way to know...
    Very true. I'm grabbing it if it is there tomorrow after work. Of course now that I want it, the damn thing will be gone
    Gary
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain

Guru

If you want the definition of 'I'll come back for that' look under famous last words.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    If you want the definition of 'I'll come back for that' look under famous last words.
    Very true. In this case, it was still there (meaning if it was worth a damn, it wouldn't have been ) But it did come home today. Definitely an interesting pour, and I don't mean that completely in a bad way. The nose is just odd - bordering on unpleasant, but not quite there (like a whiskey that was on the way to ruin, but stopped shy of it). On the palate, it is sharp, thin, a bit fruity on the finish. I think in a blind SBS I would pick Ritt BIB (354 or 1) over this, and am fairly certain I would prefer this over OO, WTR81, or JBR. The higher proof is probably the biggest help in that regard (but again, Ritt for the same money seems like a no brainer to me).
    Gary