Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Hi from Sydney, Australia

Hi all, yet another Aussie joining. My name is Brendan and I live in the south west of Sydney. My Favourite drink is bourbon, I am not a big drinker but I do like trying different kinds. Look forward to sharing my experiences with others in the group.

Apprentice

Re: Hi from Sydney, Australia

Welcome from one new member to another.

Guru

Hey Brendan, welcome aboard, and welcome to the conversation as well.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the forums, Brendan!
    I look forward to your joining us in these conversations about our favorite spirit; in all it's varied and wonderful iterations.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Wow, talk about an influx of Aussies. Another 1 or 2 and we'll have practically doubled our membership Welcome aboard Brendan. I'm sure you'll find tonnes of information here and lots of helpfull new friends

Taster

Hi Brendan! Thanks for introducing yourself.

Perhaps you, and maybe camduncan as well, could weigh in on a topic that bothers me. Is it true that bourbon is sometimes found underproof in Oz? Less than 40% ABV as required here? I've seen rumors online that this is sometimes so, due to the loophole that American regulations only apply to spirits bottled for domestic consumption. Wondering how big of an issue this actually is.

In a related question, wondering what the variety is like in the shops there. Do you find a wide variety of bourbons, or is the selection limited?

Apprentice

Jim Beam white label is 37.0% ABV, and Maker Mark is @ 40% (it is 45% in USA no?).
    The lowering of ABV of volume sellers like Beam for the Australian market would not surprise me, as there is a huge tax/excise based on ABV level (as is my understanding, I am certainly no expert on this though)

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mfxr View Post
    Jim Beam white label is 37.0% ABV, and Maker Mark is @ 40% (it is 45% in USA no?).
    JB is 40% in the US, and MM is 45% (there was hell to pay domestically when they tried to change that). For this reason, I have to advise bourbon enthusiasts outside the US to be aware of these facts:

- American whiskey in general is not supposed to be sold below 40%.
    - 'Straight'-labeled bourbon can't contain caramel color.
    - Neither of these rules apply for product destined for export.
    - American whiskey bottles are allowed to contain deceptive labels that imply an age. The best example is McAfee's Benchmark bourbon, which contains a huge "8" that implies that it's 8 years old. There are many other examples.

This is old hat to the bourbon gurus out there, but I won't stop repeating it until our flimsy export rules are changed... which may never happen.

Apprentice

Yes, something to be aware of for those outside of the USA. The strict regulation of American whiskey is to be applauded, and it is a shame that changes like this get through in foreign markets.
    I remember the recent uproar over the proposed Makers Mark ABV content and that is when the penny dropped as I looked at my bottle with 40% written on it :/

Taster

I wish there was a way you could lodge your protest and be heard. It's ridiculous, the discrepancy. I suppose preying on the consumer's ignorance is forefront, but the internet is changing that.

For whatever reason, the US market has even convinced the Scotch producers to release many bottles at 43% here, when those same bottles are 40% in the UK/EU market. I don't know the exact reason, but obviously, cash is involved somehow. 'Tis ever thus.