Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rye Conundrum

Guru

Re: Rye Conundrum

Raven I expect the desire simply wasn't there. If you're a Heaven Hill or a Beam there's no economic incentive to make special runs for brands that are subsidiary to your own labels. Old Grand Dad was an exception because Beam realized they had a national best seller and it didn't really compete with JBW anyway.

Old Overholt wasn't in enough demand to justify special treatment such as continuing the use of non Beam yeast. There just wasn't that much difference for the average palate to distinguish a flavor shift so Overholt was a throwaway for brand loyalists or those who were shopping merely for price.
    Last edited by squire; 01-23-2014 at 09:09.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

I would describe rye as earthy and herbal rather than spicy. Some bourbons are definitely spicier than some ryes out there, but the ryes maintain earthy, herbal notes that bourbons only hint at.
    A tasting order that I enjoy is to start with a very bourbony rye like Ritt BIB and progress to a Willett rye, then go back to the Ritt. The rye characteristics are more apparent, and tasting in that order helps to pinpoint the rye flavors.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    I would describe rye as earthy and herbal rather than spicy. Some bourbons are definitely spicier than some ryes out there, but the ryes maintain earthy, herbal notes that bourbons only hint at.
    A tasting order that I enjoy is to start with a very bourbony rye like Ritt BIB and progress to a Willett rye, then go back to the Ritt. The rye characteristics are more apparent, and tasting in that order helps to pinpoint the rye flavors.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    This is a very good description. Some higher proof ryes may seem "spicier" but they are really just hotter. I think I like higher proof ryes because they add a little more complexity to the flavor. WFE is hotter than Jeff10 but contains less rye. I think the spiciness of rye is more noticeable in bourbon because it removes some of the sweetness of the corn.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Raven I expect the desire simply wasn't there. If you're a Heaven Hill or a Beam there's no economic incentive to make special runs for brands that are subsidiary to your own labels. Old Grand Dad was an exception because Beam realized they had a national best seller and it didn't really compete with JBW anyway.

Old Overholt wasn't in enough demand to justify special treatment such as continuing the use of non Beam yeast. There just wasn't that much difference for the average palate to distinguish a flavor shift so Overholt was a throwaway for brand loyalists or those who were shopping merely for price.
    Very good points.

-- Ravensfire
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Disciple

[
    This is where the micros could really shine by making bold, complex, imaginative rye whiskys that could either be an interpretation of earlier styles or something completely new like a dry, spicy, floral rye aged in toasted rather than charred barrels.[/QUOTE]

Although they don't produce it this maybe one of the reasons I enjoy High West ryes. For some reason they just taste different.

Guru

High West combined different whiskys to create something greater than the parts. I could see a point in the future when the micros divide into those who want to make whisky and those who want to buy, blend, package and sell it.

Rye already has the history and the heritage and I think the market (worldwide) would be receptive to some innovative Ryes.

I wonder sometimes if Rye is just supposed to be a supplemental beverage grain. In the wine world, some grapes just don't sing well on their own but make some great harmony with others. That being said, I really like the LDI derived ryes and Saz variations.

Guru

I think Rye is the main character and the others are supporting roles.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I think Rye is the main character and the others are supporting roles.
    Preach on. Ain't that the truth.

Guru

It doesn't get much love, probably deserved in part due to the relatively high price, and it is always on the shelf but I rather like the CEHT rye. It has those earthy, vegetal notes that help it stand out.

I also like the fairly unique Leopold Bros Maryland Style rye and look forward to the BIB at some point in the future. If I can get my hands on one that is!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum