Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rye Conundrum

Disciple

Re: Rye Conundrum

Another vote for the CETH rye, need to bring in a bottle from the bunker

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    It doesn't get much love, probably deserved in part due to the relatively high price, and it is always on the shelf but I rather like the CEHT rye. It has those earthy, vegetal notes that help it stand out.

I also like the fairly unique Leopold Bros Maryland Style rye and look forward to the BIB at some point in the future. If I can get my hands on one that is!

Finally into the bottle of Maryland style rye that you found for me. Definitely unique and not a daily pour, but it is a great change of pace. However, it is still a bit "green" would love to try this with some more age on it. What's the story with the BIB?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thanks for the discussion, y'all. It's been very enlightening. I think my takeaway from this is that my preconceived ideas of rye descriptors have been off base. Rather than "spicy", "bold", and "sharp", I'm inclined to agree with "herbal", "earthy", and some of the other attributes listed in this thread. Nice call folks. Which leads me to something else that I see in ryes from different distilleries; they each have a different "house style". To me, it's more of a distinction between distilleries than the bourbons are. Much more identifiable. Different ryes, perhaps, from different areas? Dunno.

Anywho, it's what I love about this place...You never stop learning about the whiskey, and yourself.

Think I'll go pour myself a THH to mark the occasion...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

My guess is its from the different yeasts used in different houses.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Finally into the bottle of Maryland style rye that you found for me. Definitely unique and not a daily pour, but it is a great change of pace. However, it is still a bit "green" would love to try this with some more age on it. What's the story with the BIB?
    Todd (I think) Leopold has indicated they plan to age and release some of this rye as a BIB. Still at least a couple of years, maybe more to go though.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post285165
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I find that some of the LDI made ryes can have a fruity taste in the profile, similar to canned apricots or peaches. This I get most from some of the Willett barrel proof. I notice more of the dill taste in Bulleit. Dickel seems either to be older, or picks that up from the maple charcoal. Apricots, dill, and mint (to varying degrees) that's what I taste in LDI ryes. I like it, but it's not for everyone.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Another vote for the CETH rye, need to bring in a bottle from the bunker
    For those going on the BT Hard Hat tour at the Sampler (would love to go but my plans aren't completely set yet) it would be interesting to see if they will let slip any details on the CEHT Rye mashbill and if this rye will play any role in replacing the VWFRR and Saz 18 rye. The Saz 18 may eventually become all aged Handy mashbill but perhaps the future version of VWFRR could be made a bit more distinctive by combining the presumably different mashbills of Handy and CEHT rye.

Presuming something good could come of a blend of those mashbills of course. Heck, I might try doing some of that on my own!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Todd (I think) Leopold has indicated they plan to age and release some of this rye as a BIB. Still at least a couple of years, maybe more to go though.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post285165
    We're about a year out from BIB releases. But we're also just a couple months away from opening our new plant. Fast forward 4 years and we'll have much larger stocks of BIB.

Appreciate the interest.

Guru

Good news on both counts Todd.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Nothing to add that hasn't been said, but this kind of post is why SB is such a great place to learn.