Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Rye Conundrum

Guru

Re: Rye Conundrum

Commercial yeast types for bakers, brewers and distillers has been available since the 1870s. Fleischmann began in 1868 or thereabouts, and Red Star in 1871. I'm sure there were others but the mention that jug yeast wasn't being used must mean the distiller had something better in mind.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Commercial yeast types for bakers, brewers and distillers has been available since the 1870s. Fleischmann began in 1868 or thereabouts, and Red Star in 1871. I'm sure there were others but the mention that jug yeast wasn't being used must mean the distiller had something better in mind.
    It was apparently also something thought significant enough to advertise to the wholesale trade. He doesn't mention what the alternative was (and I didn't know that commercial yeast was available that early), but it could be that the trade of that day knew what the alternatives were and thus didn't have to be told.
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Guru

Yes, kids today think of 1904 as being the last era of the dinosaurs yet my Grandfather was in grade school by then. Turn of last Century society considered itself very modern, even to the extent that in 1899 a quote was attributed to then head of the U.S. Patent office Charles Duell as saying his Agency may as well be closed because everything that could be invented had already been invented.

The subject of commercial yeast being used by Rye distillers deserves more research.

Guru

Yes, kids today think of 1904 as being the last era of the dinosaurs yet my Grandfather was in grade school by then.
    YIKES! That's a bit scary as my grandfather turned 24 in 1904! I must be older than I thought...

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

We could start an Old Farts Anonymous Chapter complete with Lodge, wheelchair ramp and Rye whisky on tap.

Guru

We could start an Old Farts Anonymous Chapter complete with Lodge, wheelchair ramp and Rye whisky on tap.
    That works for me!!!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    It was apparently also something thought significant enough to advertise to the wholesale trade. He doesn't mention what the alternative was (and I didn't know that commercial yeast was available that early), but it could be that the trade of that day knew what the alternatives were and thus didn't have to be told.
    Jug yeast is a wild yeast being cultivated. So that statement to me would mean a commercial yeast of some sort.

I wonder where those 300 strains of yeast are now? I know USDA has some frozen.

Pa rye I have always said, and I can be wrong, but it was 100 percent UNmalted rye. Well, call me crazy. But it will completely convert.

Guru

Please expound on that Tom, what is the percentage of alcohol in the converted rye mash?

Connoisseur

Well that depends on the amount of grain. I hit 16 Brix, so about 8 percent on the ones I done.

Advanced Taster

Herman Mihalich at Dad's Hat Rye in Bristol, PA is making a true Pennsylvania Rye. Whether it is comparable to the pre-prohibition ryes from PA, I'll let others decide. I've tasted it and I like it. http://dadshatrye.com/distillery-videos/