Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: More Age Statement Deception by Sazerac

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    Indeed, the age statement was a big selling point for me.
    That is what led me to purchase it in the past.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    And let's not forget they're even doing it with the smallest of brands--e.g., switching Fleischmann's rye from a "straight rye whiskey" to a "mash rye whiskey" all the while using such an overly elaborate cursive font that it is likely to escape most people's notice (not to mention, what the heck is a "mash rye whiskey"?).
    This reminds me. I had bought a bottle in 2013, and thought nothing of it until I read of the change on this website. I checked the bottle, then tasted. Shame on you, Sazerac!

Advanced Taster

After reading this thread, I just realised that Makers Mark 46 is not actually 46 years old as I first thought! Talk about misleading, a huge number right on the front of the bottle!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Vietish View Post
    After reading this thread, I just realised that Makers Mark 46 is not actually 46 years old as I first thought! Talk about misleading, a huge number right on the front of the bottle!
    I know you're attempting humor, but if it had started as a 46-year-old, and if 46-year-old bourbon were a common thing, and if such bourbon typically retailed for around 35 bucks, yeah it would be time to be pissed about that too.

Connoisseur

This is already on the shelves in Louisiana.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vietish View Post
    I would think that MM46 would be 92 proof.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I tend to give the distilleries the benefit of the doubt on nearly every move they make. I know they are in a tough spot now. I get it, that something's got to give in this oversold bourbon market. They have to make really difficult choices. But, this move, and the VOBBIB 6 move before it, is simply WRONG. I'm sorry, but it is deceptive, dishonest, and inexcusable, IMO.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    Everyone who cares can blame them, that's who. If they were banking on the idea that people would not care, they would not need to make the changes as unnoticeable as possible.

Yet they are basically choosing to camouflage the shifts instead of making them more apparent, avoiding even the established and already borderline-scallywag practice of adding an Old # whatever when dropping an age statement, yet keeping the number, etc.
    Look at it from their point of view. Their 8 year old stocks are running dry. If there is a customer who has been drinking Old Charter 8 year for decades, and suddenly it totally disappears from the shelves to be replaced by something with a new label that says "Old Charter Original Goodness" (or something else generic like that), then they might lose a customer. If they can release "Old Charter 8" with the exact same flavor profile as Old Charter 8 year, and the longtime customer doesn't even know the difference, I'm OK with that. Most bourbon drinkers don't even know what an age statement really means.

Alright, so we've heard all the belly-aching, but who is going to get off their high-horse and tell us how they think Buffalo Trace should handle the situation instead? Make a totally different label? Let the stocks run dry?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I hear you, Trey. But, an age statement has, and does, mean something. I don't necessarily have a problem with them having to make the difficult decision (as I'm sure it was very difficult) to have to drop it to keep the iteration going, but using the number in it's place is just not right, IMO.

My apologies to my good friend in Tallahassee, for riding his good back on this subject!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

I'm with smokinjoe on this one. If they can keep the flavor profile the same, then why do they need the deception? Just take the age off with no other changes to the label. If people who are used to drinking it like it and continue to buy it, all well and good. But if they can't keep the flavor the same, then they need to call it something else, because it is something else. You don't drink the label, you drink (and buy) the bourbon.