Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: More Age Statement Deception by Sazerac

I would prefer that they just be upfront and send out a press release explaining the change and why. They are making money hand over fist so I doubt they go broke if they lose a customer or two over Old Charter. They forewarned us of shortages. They could now update us by telling us as a result OC 8 will now be NAS due to dwindling supplies of 8-year old product that meet the profile while assuring us that they believe they new version will match the flavor profile that customers enjoy. One might think that would drive people away but they could also explain the options...change to NAS, increase the price, or put on allocation. All three of which might ultimately occur anyway.

Enthusiast

I bought some OC 8 yr old today to see if it was worth grabbing a couple bottles for the bunker. I found it so unremarkable, that I decided to use it to rinse out a mini-barrel I got for aging cocktails. 10 minutes in the barrel later, its actually pretty decent. This makes me think I need to start stocking my bar with a salt shaker filled with bits of charred oak.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Advanced Taster

Well Trey, there you have it: if as a distiller you have decided to axe age statements, the high road would be to give notice of what you're doing, then change the labels in a way that is unlikely to mislead. Second best would be simply to do the latter. Third best would be to change the labels in a somewhat misleading way (e.g., "Old No. #).

Worst would be . . . what they are doing. Now excuse me whilst I climb back onto my high horse.

Guru

just last year I remember seeing lots of OC10 year on the shelves, then it was gone and replaced with oc8 year, and now that is gone. wow, they really cant keep up

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    Well Trey, there you have it: if as a distiller you have decided to axe age statements, the high road would be to give notice of what you're doing, then change the labels in a way that is unlikely to mislead. Second best would be simply to do the latter. Third best would be to change the labels in a somewhat misleading way (e.g., "Old No. #).

Worst would be . . . what they are doing. Now excuse me whilst I climb back onto my high horse.
    All valid points. However, I have a feeling that 95% of the people who actually drink OC8 don't care or won't notice the difference. We are talking about a low-end product here. Even if they did take the "high road", who would benefit? I bet we would just see a bunch of speculators buying up all the age-stated stocks (see the VOB phenomenon) and all the non-trainspotters that just look for Old Charter with an 8 on the label when they just want a bottle of bourbon wouldn't know the difference. Why waste the time and energy to "warn" whiskey nerds who don't even buy the product?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Keep the label the same, and just take the number off completely. Aren't the 8 yr and the Old Charter 101 the last remaining expressions of the brand left? The labels are totally different, so I don't think there would be any confusion. I don't think the 95% are looking for the 8. I suspect they're looking for the bright yellow label, and "Old Charter".

Age statements mean something. They're important. I think it is extremely deceptive to change an established age stated whiskey's label in such a way as was done with OC8 and VOBBIB.

I would have felt the same if Wild Turkey had continued to call their rye, Wild Turkey Rye 101, after they lowered the proof to 81.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Age statements certainly do mean something. If they didn't producers wouldn't find such sneaky ways to keep them on the label.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Exactly right. If they didn't carry some weight they would drop the number altogether.

Guru

Maturity is the only thing that counts and pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Reading this it occurred to me that mayhap we could use a (sticky ?) "timeline"
    thread to include current/future bourbon changes - label/proof changes, VOB 6
    switch, Ritt1/354 change, etc. Members could post images of the "new" bottles
    as they appear and then when someone asks "When did Brand X go from AS to
    NAS?" we'd have a nice little "master list" to refer to. I suppose we could include
    prior changes by reading through older threads and marking those items with a *
    or something to denote searched info as opposed to shelf info.

I dunno - just me thinking it'd be nice to have a public "database", especially since
    changes (pro/con, depending on your drink of choice) seem to be happening more
    frequently and new members (and old-timers!) might appreciate a handy place to
    find such info.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.