Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dickel 12

Taster

Dickel 12

I know this is a straight bourbon forum, but at my local store there is a $5 mail in rebate per 750ml bottle on Dickel #12. Never had before, any comments on what bourbon is would closely match taste to? sweet or spicy, etc. With rebate could get it for $19.99.

Guru

Re: Dickel 12

sounds like a deal. it's sweet and a little smoky, very distinct, and I know of nothing comparable to help you know what to expect.. id buy several if i saw the rebate

Enthusiast

It's a really good pour, grab some and enjoy it.

Guru

Bluff, you could compare it to Jack Daniels rather than a traditional Kentucky Bourbon. I like it very much for what it is and that's a good price so I suggest you take it home and then tell us what you think about it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Bluff, you could compare it to Jack Daniels rather than a traditional Kentucky Bourbon. I like it very much for what it is and that's a good price so I suggest you take it home and then tell us what you think about it.

before I was exposed to TN whiskies, I assumed that GD and JD would be similar, but found them nothing at all alike. Both are sweet, but GD is sooty-smoky, and JD is medicinal-chemically to me. But, I dont pick up on the whole 'vitamin' thing with GD either, so others may disagree.

Enthusiast

I really like it out of the freezer, its a "fun" whiskey, if that makes some sort of sense?

Connoisseur

I've found that all the Dickel's have that "green-apple/vitamin" under-taste (IMHO) to some degree.
    Many find 'em interesting, even tasty. They are not my cup of tea, but the quality seems consistent, and the price sounds good, so try it out. You may like it alot, or find it isn't in your wheelhouse. Either way, not a big investment.

Guru

Definitely get the vitamin thing here, and I for one enjoy it, save for the 14 yr old. It's so pronounced on that pour that it overshadows all of Dickels other charms. Haven't gone back to that one in awhile though, so a small taste may be in order tonight.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    I've found that all the Dickel's have that "green-apple/vitamin" under-taste

green apple? Never heard that one before! I really dont get that one, especially since green-apple is the worst candy flavor ever, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Definitely get the vitamin thing here, and I for one enjoy it, save for the 14 yr old. It's so pronounced on that pour that it overshadows all of Dickels other charms. Haven't gone back to that one in awhile though, so a small taste may be in order tonight.
    Id try it again! I dont hide my love for the 9 year, but when I first tried it, I was unsure on it. After a few pours, it clicked. is it too woody, or what?

Connoisseur

[QUOTE=393foureyedfox;397123]green apple? Never heard that one before! I really dont get that one, especially since green-apple is the worst candy flavor ever, to me.

I don't know how else to describe the unique taste/aroma I get from Dickel products. Maybe, with my admittedly poor sensory attributes, it just hits me wrong. The description is as close as I can come to what it reminds me of. Does Dickel make products that seem rather different than any other whiskey to you?... or maybe it's just me.