Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dickel 12

Taster

Re: Dickel 12

Great experience to have. Too bad we didn't all carry around camera (phones) 25 years ago! I'm sure that would have made for some pictures. I think you visited Dickel in the pre-Diageo era. It was the multi-tentacled drinks giant that started tours there.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1432,4062851

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yeah, Dickel uses a blanket (or did, presume they still do) in the leeching vat which I believe is a filter for minute particles of charcoal. Daniels does something similar but I've forgotten what.

What I know about the yeast I got in a conversation with Dave Backus who was Master Distiller there when I dropped by about 25 years ago. Just casual conversation, I happened to be in the area on business and stopped by because it was there. They didn't have regular tours at the time but Dave volunteered to show me around. We spent more time in and talked more about the Scottish style warehouses which I found much more interesting than the usual mash/ferment/distill stuff usually shown to tourists.
    Apart from the spelling being off Mr Backus had quite an appropriate surname!

Quote Originally Posted by Fangzilla View Post
    Agreed, and I have sampled all the Four Roses varieties and noted their differences. Also, it should be noted that 4R varies their grain bills (2) along with their yeast strains (5). I was mainly wondering if there is actual proof that the yeast is what accounts for the unique flavor of Dickel. And I mentioned Scotch simply because they manage to obtain a wide range of flavors, despite using commodity yeast.

I know there are some well-known reasons to use a proprietary yeast, one of which is speed of fermentation. And that will surely have an effect on flavor.
    The new white corn whiskey doesn't have that unique vitamin flavor in it. If the yeast was causing that flavor I would think it would be there.

Guru

I expect the taste we're describing takes years in the barrel to develop as the barrel has the single greatest influence on flavor.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

The precursors of the vitamin note may be produced by fermentation and then come off the still, but they may not come together to form that flavor until after some barrel aging.
    Mark

Taster

I tried it and wasnt impressed, I know its not bourbon but like standard BT much better. I will retry again though as I do have a cold and my nose is off so that may have affected things; but on sale for $19.99 and a $5 rebate I sure didnt invest much if it turns out i dont like it on the next go around.

Taster

GD12 is one of the not so hidden gems of American Whiskey.

Advanced Taster

After reading so many good things about Dickel, in 2012 I bought 2 of every iteration I could find. I have yet to open any, always finding one reason or another to conclude "next summer" will be best for a Tennessee whiskey tastefest. Once it finally happens, I plan to open all the Dickel, JD, Jailers, and all other such whiskies I've got and try them blind with anyone I can recruit to assist.

Novice

After reading the recommendations here, I bought a bottle of GD12 and enjoyed it quite a bit. But I found it to have a woodiness to it that stood out. Later I bought a bottle of of HH 4 year(gold/black label) and HH 6year (white label) to do a head to head comparison. The 4 year had the same woody flavor profile as the Dickel. It was the first thing that came to mind when I tasted the HH. The 6 year however, doesn't have that taste at all. I like the GD12 and the HH 4 year but I find the 6 year to be "smoother" and to have what I consider more flavor.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yeah, Dickel uses a blanket (or did, presume they still do) in the leeching vat which I believe is a filter for minute particles of charcoal. Daniels does something similar but I've forgotten what.
    I'm at work right now and my books are at home, so I forget whether it was the Regans or Jim Murray who wrote this something like two decades ago, but as I best recall the major difference is that Daniels uses a blanket at the bottom of the leaching vat, while Dickel uses one both top and bottom. The top one, like their spray method, is to evenly distribute the incoming spirit. (I think one of them also trickles it right through while the other dams up the bottom until the entire vat is filled, then lets it drain, but I forget which does what.)
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums