Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dickel 12

Guru

Re: Dickel 12

Either way works to produce a lighter, preaged spirit that's ready to bottle after 4-5 years in the barrel. Frankly I think that's also a limiting factor in that the whisky doesn't lend itself to aging much past 6 years and 8 is pushing it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Have you been able to try the 9 and 14 year old GD? If not it might surprise you. I think it holds up quite well. Of course as I see mentioned on here a lot YMMV.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VAGentleman View Post
    Have you been able to try the 9 and 14 year old GD? If not it might surprise you. I think it holds up quite well. Of course as I see mentioned on here a lot YMMV.
    i second that. grab one squire, I seriously doubt youd be disappointed in it. I think the only way the 9/103 could be better is perhaps if it were 9/110.

Id love to try the 14 year, but you guys know how I feel about $65 whiskey

Guru

Guys, my impressions are based on decades long familiarity with the brand, specifically the 10 year old put out as part of the Bourbon Heritage Collection about 20 years ago and the earlier 9+ year old (will have to look that up) Barrel Select that followed. Not disappointing mind you, just found the scent of the rose a bit faded.

Frankly, the older I get the more I appreciate the vibrancy of younger expressions that are balanced and not overshadowed by oak.

Got it. I agree the Bourbon Heritage 10 year was OK but not great

Guru

Fox has a point though, higher proof would've improved it.

Guru

I dont find the 9 year to be 'woody' at all. But, maybe its just the barrel that my store selected that was this good. Ive heard others have nothing good at all to say about their store's selection.

I dont like 'woody' either. To me, ECBP was far too woody, and a WFE 10 year was about the same. That may give you an idea of what I consider to be too woody in comparison.

Enthusiast

Hey guys, I too have been looking at the dickels, but have not pulled the trigger as of yet, all I see around here is the 12 & 8, what's the difference? These #'s don't actually stand for the age do they? Which one would you suggest out of the 2 for a first taste of this stuff?
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

I would recommend the 12. Its a little older and a little higher proofed (90 instead of 80). The numbers are meaningless on those, similar to old no7 for JD. The Hand Selected barrel bottles are 9 years and 14 years old respectively and state so on the barrel. They are also higher proofed at 103 and 106 respectively.

Guru

ive never had dickel 8, just the 12, the 9 year, and the rye.

the 8 and 12 are not age statements.

I like Dickel 12, but it's main flaw to me is that the proof is a bit too low, hence the reason Ive never bothered getting a Dickel 8 to try, as D8 is 80 proof versus 90 on the D12.

To me, at least, I find a strong resemblance between D12 and the 9 year 103 proofer. The 9 year has the proof that the #12 lacks, and all the flavor is intensified in the 9 year......so, if you try D12 and like it but want a 'concentrated' version, grab the 9 year.

Even better if you know others locally who may have tried the local store's pick and can tell you about it, or offer you a sample