Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: How do you like to drink your bourbon?

Mostly use a glencairn, and I like mine with a single cube. Under 101 proof i drink a 2 oz pour, over that usually switch to 1.5 oz. I have 3 different sizes of ice cubes, 0.5, 0.75, and 1.0 oz which I make with bottled water, and will vary the cube size based on profile, size of pour, and/or proof.

In restaurants or bars I order neat with a side cup of ice. Otherwise I get way to much ice in my whiskey.

It occurs to me I may have OCD :-)

Enthusiast

Ok Normally I will try some My Bourbon Neat to get an overall first impression.. If I am drinking a higher proof bourbon then some ice or water is added after some time in my tasting glass to see if the overall profile changes.. THne normally I will add some ice and diet coke and then see how a big gulp tastesl.. It is a three stage process for me.. Creggor

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Straight, out of the bottle.
    I really have done that on occasion.

Here's what I posted in another thread where the OP was asking about Stagg Jr. neat: You can drink it however you like but the Master Distillers will tell you that they don't drink barrel proof whiskey without ice or a mixer (water included.) Personally, I like to add a little water to just about everything over 100-110 proof. Try letting it sit in a glass for about 30 minutes, and then add water to taste. That's my typical routine.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

I drink most everything neat or with a few drops of water. I dislike ice and finds that it dulls the experience. I'll only use ice in a cocktail and keep everything else at room temp.

I rotate between 3 different glass types: glencairn, wide-mouth glencairn, and a port glass. Just depends on the mood, but I'd say 75% of the time my pours are out of a glencairn.
    Tyler

Enthusiast

The first pour out of a new bourbon is always neat in a glencairn. After that, I'll usually experiment until I figure out how I like that bourbon. I love variety in my beer and bourbon, so most nights the pours are small in a glencairn but from various bourbons. (Okay, could be the ADD thing kicking in as well!) Reading nights where I've got a nice book and some electronica going (I can seriously lose an entire evening if I've got Steve Verity's Tales from a Digital Planet on) I've got some highball glasses with a nice heavy base that belonged to my Grandfather. Perfect for some crushed ice (100 or so proofs) or an ice ball (higher proofs) and 2-3 oz. Might have to refill it once, depending.

And of course, a couple of hip flasks for various events where I want to bring along some extra juice!

-- Ravensfire
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Advanced Taster

Something new or special always goes neat into a glencairn for the initial tasting. Barrel or higher proof (105+) pours I'll let air out for 10-15 minutes before tasting. It usually stays neat if it's 100 proof or under, but will usually move to a rocks glass for subsequent pours. I don't think I've ever added ice to bourbon - room temp for everything works best for me.

Enthusiast

99% of the time... neat in a glass

1% is for Manhattans

Apprentice

Almost always for me is 1 or 2 oz neat in a small tumbler or glencairn, even barrelproof. On occasion I'll add a bit of water but not often and maybe 1% of the time I'll put ice if it is super hot outside.

Enthusiast

Has anyone tried the Glencairn Canadian whiskey glass? I got one and it doesn't really compare well with the traditional glencairn as far as nosing.

Advanced Taster

If I'm trying something new I always taste it neat first. At home I use a Glencarin glass. After getting a feel for it, if I continue it is usually in a rocks glass with a big cube. I have found that prefer the cube...I think it is a room temperature thing for me, just not found of room temp drinks. I need to try drinking it neat if the bottle has been in the fridge or freezer, so making it colder without the ice.