Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 78
  1. #61
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    233

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    Ok Back around 2002-3 I have purchased a couple of the Weller Centennial Bottles.. I recall really like this one.. At the time I also found some Old Fitzgerald PR and I also like that too.. Too bad they are not longer around

  2. #62
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    A pretty great state.
    Posts
    1,781

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Barton Rye in used George T Stagg barrels. Aged a minimum of 16 years.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes me wonder whether High West has put up any of their rye in used barrels.
    Jim

  3. #63
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    26

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    For BT to start with the high rye mash bill and use a lower proof off the still and even a little lower into the barrel.
    Consolidate the cherry barrels from mid level warehouse H at 8 years
    and re-barrel into toasted not charred barrels for another 4 to 8 years or until
    buyers think they are ready and pick single barrels of the finished juice.

    Looking for a more complex toastier product with layers of Bourbon sweetness and complex toasted wood notes.
    Hi sailor22, I'm a new member and love the idea of ageing in a mixture of barrels. New char to clean it up a bit and then toasted to add some real flavour notes sounds great. The idea of coming off the still at a bit lower abv sounds different. How would the master distiller do that? I like the idea of going into the barrel at a little lower to make it easy to stay at barrel proof for bottling. I wonder about going into the new char barrel at still strength and then dropping the abv going into the toasted only barrel. That's a lot of years to wait, but I guess striving for perfection is never easy. Cheers, thanks for making me think more about what is possible.

  4. #64
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by booma View Post
    Hi sailor22, I'm a new member and love the idea of ageing in a mixture of barrels. New char to clean it up a bit and then toasted to add some real flavour notes sounds great. The idea of coming off the still at a bit lower abv sounds different. How would the master distiller do that? I like the idea of going into the barrel at a little lower to make it easy to stay at barrel proof for bottling. I wonder about going into the new char barrel at still strength and then dropping the abv going into the toasted only barrel. That's a lot of years to wait, but I guess striving for perfection is never easy. Cheers, thanks for making me think more about what is possible.
    No expert and still learning but I'm told many of the dusties we love came off the still at lower proof. Lower proof new make should contain more grain flavors. Be a little more complex. So a more complex basket of flavors to start and then mingle with the flavors extracted from the barrel.

  5. #65
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    277

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    My top two were listed pretty early.

    Weller Centennial reboot
    Four Roses YL or SmB at 10 yr 100 proof
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

  6. #66
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dunwoody, GA
    Posts
    720

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Makes me wonder whether High West has put up any of their rye in used barrels.
    I hope so, I hope so. The 21 year Rye was a fantastic offering. Unique, I'd like to try some more "American Whiskey's" that would essentially be rye and bourbon distillate placed in used cooperage from all of the majors. Might as well put some of it up, probably would yield a few more bucks in the long term than selling the barrels to Scotland. Maybe even experiment with aging them in different places.

    That's another experiment I'd like to see. Age some barrels in the South in the Fall and Winter, and then move them to the North for the Spring and Summer. Or any combination of that, would love to see how some of the extreme temps would affect aging times and what would come out of it. Similar to the whole exposed barrels of the EHT Tornado deal and Jefferson's Ocean, the new warehouse at BT that will have the retractable roof and climate control system interests me on what will come out of there.

  7. #67
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,732

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    booma lower proof off the still and into the barrel were the norm not that many years ago. For instance Stitzel-Weller would bring the new make off the still at close to 100 proof and after a trip through the doubler into the barrel at 103-105 proof. Whisky aging in the warm climate of Kentucky usually gains in proof so the final barrel proof at dumping would average 107. This is why the original Weller Antique was bottled at 107, that was barrel proof.

    The usual barrel entry proof today is 125 which is why some modern barrel proof labels are 130 proof or higher.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  8. #68
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So IL
    Posts
    13

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Whisky aging in the warm climate of Kentucky usually gains in proof
    squire, I accept that this is true, but I don't understand it. I thought that alcohol was more volatile than water and that at any temperature, whether in Scotland or Kentucky, there would be more alcohol lost than water, lowering proof. What am I missing?

  9. #69
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    326

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by bookman View Post
    squire, I accept that this is true, but I don't understand it. I thought that alcohol was more volatile than water and that at any temperature, whether in Scotland or Kentucky, there would be more alcohol lost than water, lowering proof. What am I missing?
    Alcohol molecules are larger than water molecules, so evaporated water can pass through the barrel more easily. Add heat and you get more angel's share of water, and higher proof.

  10. #70
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So IL
    Posts
    13

    Re: Imaginary bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Alcohol molecules are larger than water molecules, so evaporated water can pass through the barrel more easily. Add heat and you get more angel's share of water, and higher proof.
    Got it, thank you, sir.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top