Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Is Bulleit 10 a flop?

I'm starting to see an abundance of Bulleit 10 on the shelves (brick & mortar and online) and I'm seeing it at prices as low as $32. I'm wondering if this release is considered a flop at this point. At the very least, it seems the initial price point of $45 to $50 was substantially more than the market was willing to pay.

Thoughts?

Enthusiast

Re: Is Bulleit 10 a flop?

Never had it. I was thinking about buying some just because it's supposedly 4R juice, and I wondered on these boards whether whether it might be a viable substitute for good 4R offerings. Someone (maybe more than one person) talked me out of that notion. I see it on the shelves around here. I don't see it flying off the shelves, so to answer your question, yeah, I think it may be a flop.

Connoisseur

I went to a tasting of all the Bulleit products and found the 10 to be decent, but I think the whole table agreed the regular offering beat it heads up, and that wasn't taking price into the equation. It's pretty pricey in my opinion for what it is and how it tastes.

Guru

To overestimate what customers are willing to pay for your product is an unforgiven mistake.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I think what you mean to say is:

To overestimate what customers are willing to pay for your product is a chance large companies can afford to take.

They certainly aren't going to try to reach the volume that the NAS bourbon does, but from what I've seen with regards to market penetration in liquor stores and bars, it is probably considered a success. Bulleit is incredibly popular in certain markets, and expanding the product line makes good business sense. Now that some equilibrium has been reached in the distribution/retail channels after the initial roll out last year, you'll probably start to see prices come down a bit.

Disciple

The issue with Bulleit is that the big selling point is it contains FR juice. Most people would prefer to buy the real thing for less $.

Guru

I'm not sure most Bulleitt drinkers know or care that it comes from (for now) Four Roses.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I think what you mean to say is:

To overestimate what customers are willing to pay for your product is a chance large companies can afford to take.

They certainly aren't going to try to reach the volume that the NAS bourbon does, but from what I've seen with regards to market penetration in liquor stores and bars, it is probably considered a success. Bulleit is incredibly popular in certain markets, and expanding the product line makes good business sense. Now that some equilibrium has been reached in the distribution/retail channels after the initial roll out last year, you'll probably start to see prices come down a bit.
    Missed the pun in that one did ya?
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Advanced Taster

I liked the Bulleit Rye so I picked up a bottle of this for Christmas Eve, and thought it was just okay. I would not buy again for $40. FR juice or not, for $40 I can just buy FR1B!

I don't have all of my notes, but I remember this being very thin. Nothing really jumped out as memorable. I would love to taste it next to the regular offering though.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Missed the pun in that one did ya?
    Yeah, he did, and I meant it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.