Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: NDP Contradictions/Hypocracy

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I understand your point Quantum but don't follow your reasoning. If an NDP used only 10% of a lot purchase for a certain brand how would that maintain a profile when the top 10% of the next lot has a completely different profile.

The truth is when you depend on purchased sources to stay in business you have to bottle what you can get.
    That would assume they are able to get a consistent supply from their source(s). If they are sourcing each lot separately, one at a time, there is going to be more variation. If you can match the quality, but not exact profile, then give each different batch its own edition number of some sort.

A distiller has more control over its supply, but they run into shortages just the same. When BT ran out of stock for Old Charter 10 year old, they stopped selling it. If KBD runs out of the stock they were buying for Rowans Creek, I think they should stop selling it (or change the name to Rowens Creek and hope nobody notices).

My main point is that distillers are doing the exact same thing as NDPs, and having the name of the distillery on the bottle doesn't change the end result. I don't see the loss of age statement and drop in quality for OWA any differently than for Rowans Creek.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Guru

For a guy who's headline says don't drink the kool aid he certainly knows how to pour it.

Willett has always pretended to make the whisky they sell and you will still hear that line from their distributors, anything to make a buck. They even had the misjudgment (arrogance) to claim pot still on a label until they were outed and had to pull back saying they meant the shape of the bottle and didn't really mean a still at all. Yeah, right, sure.

Back in it's best days in the 1960s Willett made good but ordinary whisky that was not highly regarded. Now Drew says he can't even copy that because the climate and grains have changed. But he can make a superior whisky by slowly dribbling in water bit by bit as it's reduced in proof which is a feat equal to Jack's magic beans. Bet he can whip up a mean batch of kool aid as well.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Willett is the new Pappy, apparently. That was my biggest takeaway here.
    Apparently someone is taking themselves very, very seriously. I don't think Willetts release of a 2 year old is going to grab the collector community by the pocketbook.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    That would assume they are able to get a consistent supply from their source(s).
    That is the opposite of what I meant to say so let me be more specific.

NDPs who rely on sourced product do not have control over what they get which is why their brands are inconsistent. Mostly what they sell is image.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    4 bourbons, 2 Ryes. See bolded above.
    I saw that too, but the mashbill in the paragraph is 13% rye as well. Unless they're making two bourbons with 13% rye, which is possible, they only listed five mashbills.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

First I heard of "step-reduction" from barrel proof to bottle proof. Perhaps a topic for another thread - very interesting...
    Mark

Guru

Ok Mark, lets start one.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    First I heard of "step-reduction" from barrel proof to bottle proof. Perhaps a topic for another thread - very interesting...
    I'm definitely curious, but the article wasn't very heavy on specifics outside of saying it makes the end result better.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Check this out: "Until 2012, Willett bottled Whiskey for others that they bought from others...I suspect they still buy Whiskey from others (even with their own stills running)..."

Wow, this guy's a regular Woodward & Bernstein... or should that be Woodford & Bernheim

I know the BMH is tasting younger, but I'm pretty sure they're not bottling 2-year old bourbon.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Sounds like his text was ghost written.