Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Guru

Re: NDP Contradictions/Hypocracy

Next we'll be hearing about special warehouses that age Rye faster.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    People complain about Sazerac dropping their age statements on some products. But at least we know it's the same recipe from the same distillery...
    Unless we are talking about Bottled in Bond bourbon or a product specifically states where it was produced, we can't know for certain that anything we are buying is from the distillery that is selling it. I know of no particular instances of a large distillery doing this, and I don't think that's the sort of information that gets out there. However, there are many instances of large distilleries selling bourbon to NDP's.
    I agree with many of the posts above relating to quality, however I don't believe this to be isolated to just NDPs. I feel the quality of a lot of things has declined in recent years (including my hairline.) The change is more gradual the larger the producer. At the same time, in the last few years we've seen some really incredible stuff come to market from distillers and NDPs
    I don't think there is anything inherently evil about not producing your own whiskey, or dropping an age statement. One thing I have learned, if a whiskey is really good, buy some extra...it's unlikely you will get the chance later in life.

A few questions:

Who did MGPI (LDI) sell to before the KBD's of the world existed, and after Seagrams ownership?

What happens to the extra bottles from a single barrel? I've been involved in quite a few retailer barrel selections. Somehow all the barrels I've seen picked have yielded a number of bottles divisible by 6 or 12.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by benpearson View Post
    What happens to the extra bottles from a single barrel? I've been involved in quite a few retailer barrel selections. Somehow all the barrels I've seen picked have yielded a number of bottles divisible by 6 or 12.
    I wondered that myself when on the Beam tour last year watching KCSB being bottled. I didnt ask, but just assumed anything left at the end of bottling, like say there was enough for 200.5 bottles, that they bottled 200 bottles and the other .5 bottle worth was mixed in with regular KC before cutting to 100 proof.

itd be interesting to know for sure though

Guru

Wastage is one of the perks of working on the single barrel line.

My thought is that all of this wastage is sold as a lot, at least by some distilleries. It could also be put in with larger batches, but I would think large amounts could throw the product off profile.

Guru

I would drink it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by benpearson View Post
    Unless we are talking about Bottled in Bond bourbon or a product specifically states where it was produced, we can't know for certain that anything we are buying is from the distillery that is selling it. I know of no particular instances of a large distillery doing this, and I don't think that's the sort of information that gets out there. However, there are many instances of large distilleries selling bourbon to NDP's.
    I agree with many of the posts above relating to quality, however I don't believe this to be isolated to just NDPs. I feel the quality of a lot of things has declined in recent years (including my hairline.) The change is more gradual the larger the producer. At the same time, in the last few years we've seen some really incredible stuff come to market from distillers and NDPs
    I don't think there is anything inherently evil about not producing your own whiskey, or dropping an age statement. One thing I have learned, if a whiskey is really good, buy some extra...it's unlikely you will get the chance later in life.

A few questions:

Who did MGPI (LDI) sell to before the KBD's of the world existed, and after Seagrams ownership?

From what I've heard, there is much more back an forth contracting between big KY distilleries than most people assume. The most well known example is all of the contracting out Heaven Hill did after the fire but I've heard about other contracts as well, mostly to fill production gaps.

As to LDI's business before the NDPs. Their most well known work was for Diageo for Seagram's 7 but they also did export brands (Cougar for Foster's in Australia) an probably bulk supermarket brands.

Guru

A main thrust of LDI business in years past was (and still is) being a massive supplier of GNS. Most if not all the cheap vodka/gin/cordials/liqueurs on the market today are based on LDI/MGP produced GNS. It's cheaper for the major producers to buy from MGP than make it themselves.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

As far as whose bourbon KBD has in their warehouses, a long time member here has said "all majors except for one" and a signed NDA prevents him from saying which one.
    My guess the "one" is Willett. ha-ha

Guru

Good one Paul . . . . .