Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Baby Steps

Advanced Taster

Re: Baby Steps

All kidding aside, if you are going to release bourbon at less than barrel proof and therefore be diluting it with water to bring it down to bottling proof why wouldn't adding the water to the barrel improve the flavor? It allows the water to pick up oak/char/bourbon flavor, additionally it increases the fluid level in the barrel thereby allowing more of the barrel surface area to come back into contact with the bourbon (due to shrinkage from evaporation).

Will it make a huge difference? Hard to say. My question is what is the temperature of the water they are adding? Is it ambient temperature? Colder? Hotter? Is it like adding a couple of gallons of boiling water to a cask to extract out the last bit of whisky locked in the wood? I'm not saying it's a vast improvement or difference but maybe it would be noticeable.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Ha! So that's the secret, just add water, instant whisky.
    I never really liked instant coffee, but in a pinch it is better than nothing.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Guru

booma, in order to meed the legal requirements of Bourbon barrel entry proof cannot exceed 125 and it must be aged in new charred, not toasted, oak barrels.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

WhiskyRI, the premise that gave rise to the thread was dilution of whisky after it had been dumped from the barrel.

Apprentice

squire, thanks for helping me understand to laws of what makes bourbon, Bourbon. I love drinking the stuff and am enjoying understanding what makes a bourbon. I appreciate you answering my questions and I hope to contribute in some small way to SB. Most of the bourbons discussed on SB are either not available locally for me or way out of my price range. I was in a bar the other day and saw a discussed bourbon on the shelf, so I asked about it and it had been the same bottle on the shelf for about 3 years. they wanted $20 for a shot. it sells in the USA for under $20 a bottle.

I like these discussions of how they age bourbon and about the blend of bourbon.

cheers

Guru

Cheers indeed, it's a fascinating subject.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by oke&coke View Post
    Im surprised no one has been using barrels of water to bring down their proof.
    The cognac/brandy guys do this. It has to have some alcohol for safety, but they are effectively using aged water to blend down. I do know some folks doing this.

Connoisseur

Well that is good to know. I would assume though that barrels of water take a lot of space and the cost of doing it on a large scale stop most places from doing it.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Virtuoso

What about, instead of adding the water to the whiskey, add the whiskey to water? Has anyone mentioned this? In one of his video reviews, Ralfy suggested a difference in the outcome when you start with the water in your glass and add whisky to it versus dropping the water in over the whisky. In fact, he commented that when serious whisky clubs make a cask selection that will be diluted for bottling, they insist on the method of adding the whisky to the water and not putting the water in over the whisky.

Ralfy was talking about malt, of course. In my observations, water generally seems to release more oils in malt than in bourbon, so perhaps this idea is more pertinent to malt. Has anyone else heard about this? I tried it myself after seeing Ralfy do it and noticed a difference, but I have not repeated the experiment since.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

That started out as a joke in the private clubs of London. The waggish approach was to say adding water to whisky diminished the dram but to add whisky to water improved the water. Anyway it caught on and has now become ritual.

Rather silly when you think about it, another one was to call for half and half whisky & water with lots of water.