Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Balcones Texas Single Malt the World Whisky of the Year in 2014

I just got this email. I just bought my second bottle of this and plan on bringing it to the sampler in April.
    Although I may need to get approval from Paul before I bring any Texas whiskey. Just trying to give him a bad time.

January 27 Waco, TX — Pioneering craft whisky makers at Balcones Distilling have earned a new set of awards for their acclaimed whiskies. Last week, London's Wizards of Whisky named the distillery's celebrated Texas Single Malt the World Whisky of the Year in 2014, as well as the World Single Malt of the Year and the American Single Malt of the Year. Balcones Single Malt and Baby Blue also earned Gold medals, while True Blue and Brimstone were honored with Silver medals.
    The Wizards of Whisky Awards World Whisky Awards are organized by Dominic Roskrow, a 22-year veteran of drinks journalism who has published six books and written or edited for many notable publications. This year's Wizards winners were proclaimed after three separate judging events that included as many as 12 judges each. Balcones Texas Single Malt was named World Single Malt of the Year ahead of other celebrated brands such as Kavalan and The English Whisky Company. In 2012 Balcones also received considerable commendation from Wizards of Whisky, being named US Craft Distiller of the Year and receiving two Gold medals and two Silver medals.
    Chip Tate, President and Head Distiller of Balcones, commented on the distillery's new accolades: "In truth, we're a little taken aback. To have taken not only the Best American Single Malt, but World Single Malt of the Year and even World Whisky of the Year in the overall competition is almost too much to take in. We're very pleased."
    To date, Balcones has received nearly 100 accolades from national and international competitions, judged by countless respected industry experts. Texas Single Malt, the most celebrated of Balcones' portfolio, has received over two-dozen awards since its release in 2011, including Best in Show –Brown Spirits at the 2011 New York World Wine & Spirits.
    The new wins for Balcones come just as the distillery has completed upgrades in its existing facilities to triple production capacity. Chip Tate and his crew built two wash stills and two new spirit stills from scratch by welding, shaping and hammering sheet copper over three months. The growing distillery also plans to build an entirely new facility inside the 100-year-old Texas Fireproof Storage Building in downtown Waco by 2015, which will expand production several fold yet again.
    You are receiving this email from Balcones Distilling, Waco, TX; Please Drink Responsibly.

Balcones Distilling, LLC | 212 S. 17th Street | Waco | TX | 76701

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Guru

Re: Balcones Texas Single Malt the World Whisky of the Year in 2014

It's a decent enough product to be sure, but...

Guru

London, that's in England, right? Next door to Scotland where they make malt whisky?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Ah, google answered my question, Wizards of Whisky (WOW) is a new outfit created solely to give out awards and covers whisky from around the World . . . except Scotland.

Enthusiast

In other news, the Whiskey Sorcerers of America overwhelmingly voted Balcones True Blue as the #1 cask strength whiskey made from roasted blue corn. It is the only whiskey to take this award, as the WSA disbanded immediately after the vote, when my wife told me to stop calling myself that. The stray cat that made up the other half of the committee also ran off, after I sprayed it with a garden hose for sticking its nose in my glass.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Guru

Cats are like that but dogs are worse.

Advanced Taster

But if a wizard somewhere would go ahead and *poof* a bottle of Brimstone to my cellar for consideration, the more forgiving and enthusiastic Whiskey Tasting Foundation! (WTF!), of which I am also founder, might go along with some sort of award for that one.

Guru

Along with an appropriate entry fee of course, you can't just give out awards.

Taster

As CEO and Founder Emeritus of the industry rating organization "Liberal User of Spirits for Health" (LUSH), let me state for the record that WTF? appears to be a sham organization....just sayin'...

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Oboe Cadobro View Post
    As CEO and Founder Emeritus of the industry rating organization "Liberal User of Spirits for Health" (LUSH), let me state for the record that WTF? appears to be a sham organization....just sayin'...
    The timing of your accusation is most inauspicious, given that WTF? was about to sponsor LUSH for induction into the Adamantly Discriminating Hall Of Credibility (AD HOC).