Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Favourite Barrel Proof/Cask Strength?

Hi guys, I'm in the market for a barrel proof/cask strength bourbon. I've never tried one - closest is probably FR1B at 100 proof or WT101 - both of which I love by the way. It got me into thinking, what are some of the favourites?
    I've seen a lot of love for Elijah Craig BP on her but everywhere in the UK is sold out.
    One place has some FRsmb125 for 90 and there's a few places have FR1B barrel strength for about 85-90.
    Is rare breed a true barrel proof? That's available for about 50 over here.
    Seen Blanton's straight from the barrel crop up on a few sites but not heard much about it. That's about 65.
    Would ideally love me some g t stagg but that's about 150 ($300)!!!
    Any feedback would be much appreciated - you guys have such a superior selection your side of the pond - so throw some suggestions my way or just let me know what your favourite is!
    Cheers.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

Re: Favourite Barrel Proof/Cask Strength?

Might be a good idea to start with a 4 Roses barrel strength offering. Some are as low as 112 and most are more approachable at barrel strength than typical. Lots of people like Bookers and it's easy to find even if it can be a little BIG for first time barrel proof drinkers.

As for personal favorites - Willett Family Reserve single barrels from the 800 series are at the top of my list (depending on who picked them) as are Willett barrels from the 1500 series.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    Hi guys, I'm in the market for a barrel proof/cask strength bourbon. I've never tried one - closest is probably FR1B at 100 proof or WT101 - both of which I love by the way. It got me into thinking, what are some of the favourites?
    I've seen a lot of love for Elijah Craig BP on her but everywhere in the UK is sold out.
    One place has some FRsmb125 for 90 and there's a few places have FR1B barrel strength for about 85-90.
    Seen Blanton's straight from the barrel crop up on a few sites but not heard much about it. That's about 65.
    Any feedback would be much appreciated - you guys have such a superior selection your side of the pond - so throw some suggestions my way or just let me know what your favourite is!
    Cheers.

WTRB (Rare Breed) is barrel proof..and it's good, but not as good as a few years ago IMHO. You can't go wrong with a barrel proof FR..

I am not sure you can get it in the UK, but Booker's was one of the first barrel proof bourbons..uncut, unfiltered. The whiskey elite tend to denigrate anything from Jim Beam, but I think Booker's is a helluva bourbon. Here it is also the lesser expensive of the barrel proof offerings. I really like it because it's character changes a lot from neat, to ice, to just a bit of water.

Enthusiast

Cheers.

You have a thumbs up from me for any of these. Go with what you can afford.

Connoisseur

Cheers.

If you can afford it, go get the 4R Small Batch LE 125th aniversary, it's a little stiff on the price, but I'm assuming there is markup across the pond on all bourbon due to the shipping and availability. It does have a lower proof as well, so it's not as hot as some of the other barrel proof offerings available.

I would say, you might want to set that aside and try a couple of the others before you crack it, but I think most here will agree the 125 is one worth pursuing. If you choose it as your first, it might ruin others in the future, but it's an incredible pour. Just sets the bar high.

Guru

Any of those rb and I would choose the 125th over Stagg even if they were the same price.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

at the prices you posted, Id grab the Blantons barrel proof. We dont even get that over here.

Some cheap 'basically barrel proofers' would be KCSB (120 proof), OGD 114 proof, WTRB.

I love booker's, but for a first time with high proof, id try the cheaper ones first.....and I find KCSB to be of strong family resemblance to Bookers.

Apprentice

Sounds like the 125th is fairly popular! I've had both the regular SmB and 1B and really like them both so it's probably the logical next step.

Have been on the look out for OGD114 but stocks seem to be pretty low in the UK at the moment. It's only about 35 which is a decent price.

Guru

That is a decent price, comparatively speaking.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

The KCSB120 is the best value over here, so maybe there as well. The best barrel proofer I ever had was 2009 WLW from Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection.

I would love to be able to try the barrel proof Blanton's, too.