Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Need Suggestions Buying A Rye - Which Two of These Would You Buy? - Only Two

I screwed up yesterday buying a Straight Rye Whiskey. I have very little knowledge about Straight Rye Whiskey, so I did a little checking today and came up with the following list, for my next purchases. For those of you who are into Straight Rye Whiskey, which two of the following, would you buy first. Please only two picks, no close 2nd and so on. Also, if you can, comment on what your choices are.

This will be very much appreciated!

High West "Rendezvous"
    Rittenhouse 100 Proof
    Jefferson' 10 year Old
    Bulleit Rye Small Batch
    Templeton Rye Small Batch
    Wild Turkey 101 Rye
    George Dickel Rye
    Last edited by johnnyflake45; 04-15-2015 at 16:37.
    Real men, only needs six things in their life, Bourbon, Whiskey, Rye, Women, Cigars & Bacon!

Re: Need Suggestions Buying A Rye - Which Two of These Would You Buy? - Only Two

Rittenhouse and Bulleit

good price/value
    nice spicy rye with a touch of sweetness
    nice finish
    both make excellent Manhattans

Advanced Taster

Re: Need Suggestions Buying A Rye - Which Two of These Would You Buy? - Only Two

I'm not a huge rye drinker, but one of my favorites is Willet 6 year old. Another I would like to try myself is Old Scout rye from Smooth Ambler.

Guru

Assuming I had no rye and was starting out, I'd go with Rittenhouse and George Dickel Rye.

Rittenhouse I find to be a terribly reliable rye, and the best rye value I'm aware of (around Atlanta, can be had for less than $20).

George Dickel is reasonable, and a bit of a twist as it is MGP rye that has been charcoal mellowed.

And both of these are generally available. I hate falling in love with something just to find that it isn't something I can replace easily (which isn't to say you shouldn't try everything, but I'd check these off first).
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Assuming I had no rye and was starting out, I'd go with Rittenhouse and George Dickel Rye.

Rittenhouse I find to be a terribly reliable rye, and the best rye value I'm aware of (around Atlanta, can be had for less than $20).

George Dickel is reasonable, and a bit of a twist as it is MGP rye that has been charcoal mellowed.

And both of these are generally available. I hate falling in love with something just to find that it isn't something I can replace easily (which isn't to say you shouldn't try everything, but I'd check these off first).
    Consigned. You should be able to get both of those for $50 total. Not too shabby!

I'd skip the Templeton and Jefferson's on principal. (questionable origins / origin stories)
    Andrew

Enthusiast

I'd choose Bulleit and Rittenhouse.

Templeton is a flavored whiskey; I don't recommend it.
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's um... It's
    green.

Guru

Sure, can't say I'm into rye though I prefer high rye or rye forward Bourbons. Did buy the Van Winkle Rye back when it was a low key brand and relatively well priced. Of the choices offered Rittenhouse and Dickel.

Comments? Yes, a few.

High West Rendezvous . . . no experience with it so I'll defer to the thoughts of others.
    Jefferson . . . I refuse to buy anything from Jefferson because of their NDP bullshit.
    Bulleit . . . standard MGP Rye (actually a good basic Rye) but it's repackaged bulk stuff at a jacked up price.
    Templeton . . . please, repackaged LDI/MGP rye from the get go and until outed had the temerity to pretend they actually made their own whisky. Al Capone had access to the finest wines, champagnes, cognac and imported whiskys. I don't believe for a moment he settled back in his chair for an evening and by choice sipped on some raw, harsh sugarshine made on the sly in some obscure backwater place.
    Wild Turkey Rye . . . yes, good basic stuff, competently made and I almost always kept some on hand for guests who might request a Rye. Of course if they were discerning I offered the Van Winkle instead.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

I wouldn't say you screwed up. Everything you try along "the journey" helps you better formulate your own opinions. Enjoy what you bought and use it as something to compare future purchases to.

As for the list you provide, I would opt for Rittenhouse 100 proof for a couple reasons. It is a nice step up in proof and available for a reasonable price. Depending on price, Knob Creek Rye is another option. I have seen the price range from $26 to $40. At $26, I would take it above any on your list. At $40, it would be closer to the bottom of the list.

The only avoid on your list is Templeton. Just too much deception and too high of a price for what you get.

Advanced Taster

HW Rendezvous and Bulleit. Both NDP, and from overlapping sources, IIRC, but I really like the LDI/MGP formula and Bulleit is typically very easy on the wallet, while HW is a very nice revision to the formula, with the added Barton (IIRC).

As for the others:
    Rittenhouse 100 Proof - doesn't have enough rye content in it and it shows.
    Jefferson' 10 year Old - technically tasty, but over-priced for what you get.
    Templeton Rye Small Batch - what everyone else said
    Wild Turkey 101 Rye - used to be my go-to; now too thin, harsh, and expensive.
    George Dickel Rye - I'm intrigued by their tweak but I've never pulled the trigger myself.

Also, FYI, there's a rye sub-forum/thread (not under Bourbon) that could help guide you.

Happy hunting!

Disciple

Country and squire summed it up nicely and echo my thoughts. For someone starting out and getting their bearings, Rittenhouse and Dickel offer two of the most basic and fundamental rye styles out there at an affordable introductory price. Rittenhouse is a "barely legal" rye (rye at about 51% of the mashbill). Dickel is a great example of the MGP rye 95% rye profile. These are great to start with and will guide future purchase decisions.

Rendezvous, while pretty good, is more expensive than the above and is a mixture of 6yr MGP and 16yr Barton. No telling how much longer the 16yr stock will hold out so this is not a good foundation rye.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............