Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Dad's Hat has hit Chicago

dads.png

Picked this up at Binny's. $45, or basically a dollar per percentage point of alcohol by volume.

It's not quite there yet but it's pretty damn good, and I think it shows a lot of promise. The only thing that's missing is a decent finish, it really doesn't have much of a finish at all. It's young - the label says aged over 6 months, the website says they use small barrels. If they ever get to where they can age this for 2-4 years in standard 53 gallon barrels, I think they're going to have something outstanding on their hands.

It reminds me of the Sazerac profile (Baby Saz and CEHT Rye at any rate), probably because there's no corn in its mashbill. Rye and barley, but it doesn't have the minty notes that MGP rye has.
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Guru

Re: Dad's Hat has hit Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post

It reminds me of the Sazerac profile (Baby Saz and CEHT Rye at any rate), probably because there's no corn in its mashbill. Rye and barley, but it doesn't have the minty notes that MGP rye has.
    Might be worth noting the mashbill of the Sazerac rye line (Baby Saz, Handy, which is essentially selected barrels of barrel proof Baby Saz, and at some point in the near future Saz 18, if it isn't being blended in already!) and the CEHT Rye line are reportedly very different. Baby Saz is a "barely rye" rye at 51% or so while CEHT rye is thought to be more like 90% rye (although to my knowledge Sazerac hasn't shared any confirmed details on the mashbill).

I find them to be fairly different in taste and even texture which I suppose is in part from the difference in corn content.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Wait until they start releasing their 2 year old rye to the public outside PA. I had a sample last evening at a local bar and it was one of the best whiskies I've ever had. I have 2 bottles on special order for our "State Stores." I can't wait for them to arrive!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Taster

I concur, it is a very drinkable young rye.
    George