Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Old Scout 8 yr Barrel Proof Rye

Astor has lost their damn minds with their private selection pricing, but I guess they can. The rest of the world has that around $45. You are right that there's not many competing products for that specific market. Willett is usually half the age and 110 proof, anything BP and 8 years and up is north of $80.

Guru

Astor prices are a little higher but at that proof you are getting close to two bottles of 80 proof, just a thought.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

It's not a bad deal in a vacuum, but Astor has always been competitive with their pricing until the past 4 months. They now have Old Scout selections that are marked up 50% when compared to similar offerings from TPS or other vendors ($75 vs. $50, $65 vs. $46). They had an OWA pick that was somewhere near $40 if I recall.

Not intending to threadjack, just surprised to see these new Old Scout prices from them. Or rather, not surprised at all.

I think it's great that Knifestyles finds value at that price point and is considering another bottle.

Novice

Picked up a bottle from Astor also omw home from work few days ago. Tasted and seen the 7yr aroud the city for $35-$50 and it a decent pour. Astor is only place with the 8yr barrel proof, and like knifestyles said, it does not disappoint. Love my '13 THH and my soon to be empty '12 Saz 18. This is a very nice option to have between those two.

Enthusiast

Picked up one of these today and popped it open tonight. Mine came in at 121.8p and halfway through the first glass I am loving it.

So far very similar to a Jeff10 that I finished off a few months ago, and barrel strength makes it even nicer (without the jefferson douchery). Of course tastes may change through the bottle, but first impressions this stacks up well with (my admittedly few) tastes of Saz, and beats out THH.

Taster

I love this stuff! I paid $48 for a bottle a few months back... Wish I would have bought two cause I haven't seen it around here since. 8 year old barrel proof rye for less than $50 is a steal.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by JonRob View Post
    I love this stuff! I paid $48 for a bottle a few months back... Wish I would have bought two cause I haven't seen it around here since. 8 year old barrel proof rye for less than $50 is a steal.
    John and the folks at SA do such a great job at select whiskeys for the Old Scout bottlings!

Apprentice

I had no idea there was a 8 year Old Scout BP Rye! I love the 99 proof 7 year Old Scout. I'm all over this. Dang, I'm glad I found this forum!

EDIT: I just bought the 8 year Old Scout BP online for $50 plus taxes/shipping. Can't wait to put it up against the Redemption Barrel Proof for comparison.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 07-16-2014 at 17:12.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    I had no idea there was a 8 year Old Scout BP Rye! I love the 99 proof 7 year Old Scout. I'm all over this. Dang, I'm glad I found this forum!

EDIT: I just bought the 8 year Old Scout BP online for $50 plus taxes/shipping. Can't wait to put it up against the Redemption Barrel Proof for comparison.
    Had a rather odd tasting bottle of the OS 8yo BP rye just yesterday. It was a local store pick and I don't think it would have been my first choice.

Is it available as an off the shelf bottle as well as a store pick option?
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 07-17-2014 at 12:12.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Had a rather odd tasting bottle of the OS 8yo BP rye just yesterday. It was a local store pick and I don't think it would have been my first choice. I

s it available as an off the shelf bottle as well as a store pick option?
    Yes, you can buy the 7 yr rye on the shelf.

Not sure if SA always sends 4 samples per request, but i tasted at least 4 of them as part of the selection process at a local LQ. I've also had Kenwood's out of Chicago. I agree with you; odd is right. I wouldn't pay $50 for it but that's just me.

The 8 and 10 yr bourbons I've tried, OTOH, if fairly priced, would be a good value.

San Fran Wine Trading Co has an 8-yr pick and they sell and ship online.
    Last edited by BootsOnTheGround; 07-17-2014 at 11:59.