Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Old Scout 8 yr Barrel Proof Rye

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I did try the one from DPS but didn't buy one. It seemed very fruit forward for a rye (more like a bourbon which is OK if unexpected) but I thought it had a bit of an unpleasant bitter/sour note on the finish for me so I did not get it. Others have not picked up on that sourness in the finish so maybe it is just me (although at least one other person had a similar reaction). I suppose I should try it again. Although I may wait as I may have the opportunity to help select one for another store.
    Green's on Ponce has a new shipment from Smooth Ambler an 8yr cask strength rye. I came into this thread to get a feel for the boards reaction to this from previous offers. DPS still has some of their store purchase on the shelf for $35.00. I didnt see a price on Green's bottle I was going to ask but assumed it was the same as DPS.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Gator View Post
    Green's on Ponce has a new shipment from Smooth Ambler an 8yr cask strength rye. I came into this thread to get a feel for the boards reaction to this from previous offers. DPS still has some of their store purchase on the shelf for $35.00. I didnt see a price on Green's bottle I was going to ask but assumed it was the same as DPS.
    Don't get down to the Ponce Green's very often but let me know if you go take a look! The DPS rye improved over time but it never really fully got over that slight bitter finish for me. Others liked it fine so might have been just me.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Don't get down to the Ponce Green's very often but let me know if you go take a look! The DPS rye improved over time but it never really fully got over that slight bitter finish for me. Others liked it fine so might have been just me.
    It was 43.99 and they had a lot of it so I'm in no hurry. The Saz Jr they had at 28.99 was gone. I will likely pick another one of those up from a different store.

Enthusiast

Was lucky enough to find a bottle of this at a Liquor Barn in Lexington this past weekend. Picked it up over the Redemption Rye 7yr at $80+. Looking forward to popping it open this week!

Apprentice

I bought a 7yr Rye yesterday. Very impressed! Just south of 41 dollars including tax.

I also had the 8Yr BP Rye about a month ago. Wonderful! The 7yr expression is pretty close IMHO.
    Last edited by Wild1z; 04-29-2015 at 09:47.

Taster

Got 2 last week via mail-order. I think the BP's were $56. Bought them blind, but I figured since Bulleit was my manhattan rye of choice (so far), more proof and more age couldn't be a bad thing...

Probably be the end of the summer before I crack one open...don't have a ton of space...have to clear a couple others first.