Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Old Scout 8 yr Barrel Proof Rye

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    Yes, you can buy the 7 yr rye on the shelf.

Not sure if SA always sends 4 samples per request, but i tasted at least 4 of them as part of the selection process at a local LQ. I've also had Kenwood's out of Chicago. I agree with you; odd is right. I wouldn't pay $50 for it but that's just me.

The 8 and 10 yr bourbons I've tried, OTOH, if fairly priced, would be a good value.

San Fran Wine Trading Co has an 8-yr pick and they sell and ship online.
    Yes, the 99 proof 7yo I am familiar with. Don't think I have seen or heard about a cask strength 8yo rye that wasn't a store pick but there certainly could be one.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Yes, the 99 proof 7yo I am familiar with. Don't think I have seen or heard about a cask strength 8yo rye that wasn't a store pick but there certainly could be one.
    Here's a link to the press release on the SA website. They released it (very limited release, apparently) in Feb 2014. One of my stores in WashDC asked for it for me in May but was told it was not available. The wholesaler had one SAOS 10yr so I bought that, instead. Still asking for the BP/CS every once in awhile but no longer hold out any hope. Guess I'll just have to wait for the SA wheat whiskey to hit the shelves. (Sigh.)

http://www.smoothambler.com/2014/02/...old-scout-rye/

Enthusiast

Oh there is one, and it is very good indeed. I picked up a few bottles when Eric had it in stock. Now gone, and I don't think he's getting anymore in to replace it. Really good stuff!

Enthusiast

Did you pick up a bottle of this from DPS? I'm going to pick up another bottle, and maybe two, enjoying it that much.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Did you pick up a bottle of this from DPS? I'm going to pick up another bottle, and maybe two, enjoying it that much.
    I did try the one from DPS but didn't buy one. It seemed very fruit forward for a rye (more like a bourbon which is OK if unexpected) but I thought it had a bit of an unpleasant bitter/sour note on the finish for me so I did not get it. Others have not picked up on that sourness in the finish so maybe it is just me (although at least one other person had a similar reaction). I suppose I should try it again. Although I may wait as I may have the opportunity to help select one for another store.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Enthusiast

I did try the one from DPS but didn't buy one. It seemed very fruit forward for a rye (more like a bourbon which is OK if unexpected) but I thought it had a bit of an unpleasant bitter/sour note on the finish for me so I did not get it. Others have not picked up on that sourness in the finish so maybe it is just me (although at least one other person had a similar reaction). I suppose I should try it again. Although I may wait as I may have the opportunity to help select one for another store.
    I could see that. I think I've realized that I'm a fan of the more fruit forward ryes, and the slight bitter/sour notes (I get a bitter almond kind of thing going) so this barrel really hit the nail on the head for me

I hope you get to hep with the selection at another store. Anything that gets more nicely aged barrel proof rye around here is welcomed, and an SBer being involved in the process makes it all the better.

Enthusiast

After reading Smokybeasts blog and their note about SFWTC having their own 8 year barrel pick rye (59.7abv), I stopped by pick up 2 bottle last week. After a few pours over the course of five days, the nose is similar to Angels Envy rye but not a sweet. The typical LDI rye scents pop out, slight caramel with gingerbread, mint and that pickle brine I always get from the 95/5 mashbill. Initially the taste is a bit hot, with a slight dark chocolate bitterness with some hot mint spice. It's not a black pepper spice, definitely more a menthol like since it doesn't linger. The finish is dry with slight charred oak. Water opens up the nose making it sweeter and more of that pickle brine pops through. The heat is cut back a bit, lighter caramel flavors appear but overall doesn't change dramatically, same with the finish. This isn't one of my favorite sipping ryes, but I'll enjoy this over an ice sphere more and might try it in a high end cocktail.

Enthusiast

but I thought it had a bit of an unpleasant bitter/sour note on the finish for me so I did not get it. Others have not picked up on that sourness in the finish so maybe it is just me (although at least one other person had a similar reaction). I suppose I should try it again. Although I may wait as I may have the opportunity to help select one for another store.
    I have and I agree 100%.

At first smell: Pinesol
    At last taste: Grape Pucker

I didn't make a lot of friends with those comments. But hey, when it's right it's right - there doesn't need to be a highly cognitive, intensive meditation of your inner most feelings to justify your experience.

Maybe that's MGP talking? I've gotten acetone on several high rye MGP rye or bourbon I've nosed/tasted. It fades with time, but if you're not patient with your whiskey, it can be disappointing especially if you're spending a mint on the bottle.

Connoisseur

I suppose it all depends on the barrel that's been selected. I'm not picking up any of the bitter or Pinesol notes you guys are talking about the The Party Source barrel pick I have here.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by flahute View Post
    I suppose it all depends on the barrel that's been selected. I'm not picking up any of the bitter or Pinesol notes you guys are talking about the The Party Source barrel pick I have here.
    I doubt the store that picked the 8yo SAOS rye here has the level of expertise and success TPS does so I would not be surprised if the TPS version was one I liked better (not that every TPS pick is necessarily great but they seem to have a pretty good track record). But unfortunately they don't ship anymore as we all know and I don't want it bad enough to try to figure out how to get it so not going to worry about that one.

I will hopefully get a chance to have input on a pick in the near future that I will enjoy more than I did the DPS bottle. Unfortunate because I wanted to like it!