Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 3/15: Buffalo Trace

This month marks a first. It's the first time a bourbon has been the BOTM three times. The main reason for that being, I could do a BOTM of something a bit more obscure or different, but that wouldn't benefit the membership here as a whole, especially the plethora (I love that word ) of new members that are searching for advice on what to try.

A lot has already been said about BT. Some bad, and some good. For me personally, I like it. A lot. There may have been some inconsistencies with it at times in the past, but I honestly think that BT has worked their way through that. I agree that at one time there may have been a hay or grassy flavor. I don't see it all that apparent anymore. I think those nuances have been replaced by a slightly musty nose/flavor that I associate with the smell of a rickhouse. More of a sweetness is apparent too. Nice balance, decent price. You can't ask for much more than that. IMHO, (and yes I know what they say about opinions ) I think BT is one of those bourbons that can best be exemplified by saying that it is a great example of bourbon, or better yet, what a bourbon is, and/or should be. 'Nuff ced'.

So, let's hear what y'all have to say about BT. And once again just a little reminder here, the BOTM is about everyone's thoughts and tasting notes on BT the bourbon. If you want to comment on BT the distillery, good or bad, this ain't the time nor the place for that. Please, do it elsewhere, or not at all. One other thing, just for sh**s and giggles, y'all may want to go back and look at what was said about BT when it was previously the BOTM.

Cheers, and happy posting!

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Re: BOTM 3/15: Buffalo Trace

BT was one of the bourbons that definitely got me on my journey. My Dad brought me some after visiting their distillery (I'm not sure whether he had ever tried it before that or not), and I really liked it. Before that, I was drinking Crown Royal (so as you can see - he literally saved me from what would have become a wasted youth . . . or rather wasted mid-life!) I still enjoy it, although I'll admit it isn't one I pick up anymore due to having just too damn much whiskey Yes, I know there is a solution to that, but it is the type of thing I don't crave often enough for its difference to carry a bottle in the cabinet. I do love the bottle though, and the distillery grounds are gorgeous. It was my first distillery tour as well, so it will always have a special place in my heart (and maybe one day, will get back in the cabinet!)
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Agree with Joe. Latest bottle I purchased was a single barrel store pick that did not have any grassy or hay flavor. Been 3-4 years since my last bottle. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will pick up more.

Advanced Taster

I have a bottle in the bunker. I just may have to open one up and give it a shot.
    The B's of me: Beer, Bourbon, BBQ, Blues

Regards:
    Rob

Apprentice

I actually had some last night.

It has grown on me over the last year or so. Nice smooth sweet entry, corn and a little spice, vanilla, maybe some caramel. Nice mouth feel. Good finish, a little heat, but not overwhelming. Spice is there, but I am not sure I can ID it very well.

Overall to me an excellent example of a modern bourbon interpretation. I would recommend it.
    Last edited by TheEgg; 03-02-2015 at 19:25.

Disciple

Love this one. It was what I bought after my brother-in-law introduced my to Stagg and I tried to go out and buy Stagg but couldn't. (Darn bourbon boom). So, this one has been with me since the beginning of my enthusiast years. Throughout my journey, I've found that I really really have something for the BT mash #1 which plants BT firmly in my wheelhouse for a good budget pour. It's one I can go to easily when I can't decide what to drink because it always satisfies. I also use it to vat with Stagg Jr. and it performs marvelously in that role. So to sum up, it's a favorite and I'll always have an open bottle on the shelf.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

One of my favorite go-to pours! It's been a while for me on this one, so will pick up an Aussie version of this (700ml bottle @ 80 proof) next weekend. Tasting notes to hopefully follow next week

Virtuoso

BT for me:
    Opening nose is like standing in the pouring room during a distillery tour - all warm sugar/caramel/cinnamon with that musty wood undertone. First sip is like a bite of candy apple - some sweetness coupled with apple pie spice. I get no burn which is no surprise; it's 90 proof, and I usually drink BIBs neat so my tongue's already conditioned/charred. Tonight, I had an OGD BIB early on (the new label just to see if I still liked it and I did). For my second, I decided to survey my open bottles, and, serendipitously, grabbed my BT. THEN, I logged on only to discover the BOTM is BT. IN SUM: darn good choice. And, Joe, I did peruse the last BOTM thread. I've never experienced the grassy note some noted, but then, I don't think I tasted BT 90 (other than as an ASmith Bowman redistillate) until 2012.

AND, a restaurant we frequent regularly now carries BT - a product added after I mentioned that I thought their selection was spotty and could be improved and made a few suggestions. At least they took THIS one.

Advanced Taster

BT is good...but there is just something missing. I have never had the single barrel expression, next time is see one from a local I will definitely grab one. Also, I find the label humorous, BT might have the longest story/explanation of any bourbon on the bottle...it's a short novel.

Guru

havent had this in probably a year and a half, last time was at the KBF in Sept '13, and I was already well lit on Booker's. I may have to revisit it at a bar sometime