Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Okay folks, we're headed into basically uncharted territory this month. For the first time, we're gonna go with a bourbon or rye from some place other than major distilleries, or fairly well known NDP's.

The discussion of Smooth Ambler Old Scout here on the site has been mostly sporadic, but, I have noticed a few posts about it lately. I'm also pretty sure that one of our members here recently headed up a private barrel selection of it. I can't think of a better time to have something like this as a BOTM.

Not much from me in the way of comments this month. (No applause, just money. ) The only thing I can say about Old Scout is that I've sampled it a couple of times, and I thought it was pretty darn good. FWIW, I might have to purchase a bottle in order to do a little more "research".

Let's here what y'all have to say about Smooth Ambler Old Scout. Cheers and happy posting!

Joe
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 02-01-2014 at 16:36.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Okay folks, we're headed into basically uncharted territory this month. For the first time, we're gonna go with a bourbon or rye from some place other than major distilleries, or fairly well known NDP's.

The discussion of Smooth Ambler Old Scout here on the site has been mostly sporadic, but, I have noticed a few posts about it lately. I'm also pretty sure that one of our members here recently headed up a private barrel selection of it. I can't think of a better time to have something like this as a BOTM.

Not much from me in the way of comments this month. (No applause, just money. ) The only thing I can say about Old Scout is that I've sampled it a couple of times, and I thought it was pretty darn good. FWIW, I might have to purchase a bottle in order to do a little more "research".

Let's here what y'all have to say about Smooth Ambler Old Scout. Cheers and happy posting!

Joe
    I would love to try it but don't see it here in the Houston area

Guru

Nope, I haven't seen it around here either. I had some samples that were really good thanks to another SBer. I don't know if it was stuff they distilled or sourced, but it was yummy.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Disciple

They do source their stocks but are currently distilling and aging their own now.John is a member of the board and has been very open with disclosure and they offer a very good product at a more than reasonable price and I am a repeat buyer myself.I look forward to seeing their own stocks hit the shelves in the next couple of years.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

My SA OS is a 7yr 99 proof bottled in late 2013 by Ashley or so says the label (thanks, Ashley, I am thoroughly enjoying the fruits of your labor). I've been sipping on one ounce neat pours for the last several nights. My formal review is followed by a more informal comment.

I tend to drink rye mash bill bourbons but do drink wheaters. Keep that bias in mind.

Color - copper side of amber
    Nose - overripe pear ("Smell me but don't eat me") mixed with the grainy/grassy aroma of a bourbon with rye in its recipe; maybe some sour (like my wife's sourdough bread, yum)
    Taste - first sip has the bite of a higher proof but quickly cools to the hint of mint I expected from the rye. BUT, there is no Canadian rye sweetness here, just the slightly musty hint of grain. Mouthfeel has no corn-oil weight but neither is it thin. Not as complex as some bourbons of its age but is still interesting enough to distinguish it. Some kind of menthol or acetone wafting through? Not enough to tell what it is.
    Finish - smooth compared to that first sip, and that bourbon warmth lasts awhile.

In short: If we were sitting in a bar and you asked me what I thought, I'd say, "I love it neat or with a chunk of ice, but I dunno about using it in cocktails. Well, maybe in an Old Fashioned."

EDIT - Now that I've read this, I think I'll try it in a Manhattan.
    Last edited by Harry in WashDC; 02-01-2014 at 20:33.

The Voshole

I've had 3 different ages of their bourbon and have enjoyed all of them. My bottle of 6yr went pretty fast and it's been my favorite so far. Had a couple of pours of 7yr at a restaurant that was very good and am now working on a barrel pick that is 122.8 proof and 8yrs old. This one needs a little water but is very good as well. Since the bunker has a 7, 10 and 11yr waiting for me I guess you could say I'm a fan of theirs.

P.S. Damn cork on the barrel pick just broke
    Last edited by Vosgar; 02-01-2014 at 20:51.
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Advanced Taster

My palate is tuned into the SA OS. John picks good barrels - and he's very open that this is sourced whiskey. In my conversations with him he's very clear that wants to continue sourcing as well as continuing to distill his own. He doesn't see the sourcing as a short-term bridge. What he said, if memory serves correctly given that I'd had a few when I was talking with him, was that "why bother building a brand up only to abandon it". Seemed to make a lot of sense. I currently have a bottle of the SA Straight Rye open. Good stuff. I wish more young distilleries were as open and honest as he is - heck make that almost all distilleries.

Disciple

Not available in our state.

Apprentice

I have seen several bottles at different stores throughout the area but have never tried this bourbon. It seems like every bottle I see has a different age statement 5,6,7 years. How are they able to keep a consistent product this way?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    My SA OS is a 7yr 99 proof bottled in late 2013 by Ashley or so says the label (thanks, Ashley, I am thoroughly enjoying the fruits of your labor).
    Sounds like our bottles came from the same batch and the same bottler. I found it surprisingly pleasant based on the spotty record of NDPs. Your tasting notes also reflect my experience. A lot of SBers would enjoy this. (Can't vouch for the other iterations. No experience.)
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.