Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Like their sourced stuff quite a bit, John is a class fella, and I absolutely cannot wait until their own distillate is ready to go!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Like their sourced stuff quite a bit, John is a class fella, and I absolutely cannot wait until their own distillate is ready to go!
    +1. It's hard to speak on the whiskey at this point for obvious reasons, but I totally dig the man's style here on SB. Also, people who I trust as knowing their stuff speak highly of him, his distillery, his methods, and future potential. Smooth Ambler is definitely on my "looking forward to" radar.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

I have a bottle of a 10 year private selection which I really enjoy. I've had samples of a few other OS/VOS and thought all were delicious.

One of the bottles from that rumored selection by some SBers is heading my way, really excited to try it.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    One of the bottles from that rumored selection by some SBers is heading my way, really excited to try it.
    (Ahem) you mean rumored to be heading your way
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Enthusiast

I currently have open bottles of the 5 year 99 proof bourbon and the 8 year single barrel cask strength rye. Both are quite good. I have had in the past a bottle of the "at least" 10 year single barrel. Likewise a nice pour. SA is obviously doing a nice job with barrel selections for their OS lineup. I am becoming an SA OS fan, particularly now that several of my preferred bourbons are becoming difficult to find on a regular basis.

Virtuoso

Alright! I'm going to have a lot to say. And some pictures. For now, I'll direct anyone interested to read my distillery trip write-up which covers some basic information about Smooth Ambler, the Old Scout product line, and other miscellaneous tidbits that may, or may not, be relevant.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...-Smooth-Ambler

Guru

Ive only seen it once, and didnt know anything about it at the time, so I left it.

Barrel proof, age stated, $35-50 (TPS prices, at least), honesty, and good reviews of the whiskey/distillery/owner? I may have to give it a shot next time I see it.

Enthusiast

I've only had the VOS 19 year and the OS 7 year, but based on those two I have a 10 year, single barrel 8 year and VOS 11 in the bunker. The 19 year is one of my favorite pours, and the 7, while a different animal, is good as well. I also await some of their own aged product, which if I recall correctly, will be (per Yeti) wheated bourbon.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Alright! I'm going to have a lot to say. And some pictures. For now, I'll direct anyone interested to read my distillery trip write-up which covers some basic information about Smooth Ambler, the Old Scout product line, and other miscellaneous tidbits that may, or may not, be relevant.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...-Smooth-Ambler
    Thanks for the link, Josh. Just finished reading that thread. One can spend hours reading through the older threads here (and I do) and still miss interesting info. Your tour notes and pictures are superb, and I'm impressed with how open John at SA is about his current offerings and SA's plans for future offerings.

Guru

Openness gets my interest and a good product gets a repeat buy.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.