Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Based on all these excellent comments, picked up a bottle of the 6-year, 99 proof today. Almost bought the rye, too, but had to pick up a bottle of Blanton's for a gift.

Looking forward to sampling tonight. Will come back with first impressions.

Advanced Taster

OK - good call! Enjoying a nice pour of this right now. Lately, I normally drink most everything less than 100 proof neat. Started that way with this one it is was good. But, with just a bit of water, the flavors really open up, especially the juicy fruit flavors. Yum.

Advanced Taster

If there's anyone here in the NYC area, the 10YO single barrel bourbon and rye that Mr. Little selected for Astor Wines are phenomenal. The clerk let me try both, but I could only get one; I went in looking for a bourbon, so that's what I left with. But really, either one will impress.

Connoisseur

My views on the SA 7yr are above somewhere. Yeti's pictures encouraged me to get a 10yr. I like the 7 and love the 10. My bottle of SA rye is unopened so far.

Enthusiast

I've been seeing this on the shelves near where I am pretty regularly. I've been tempted. But then again, it was on the shelf with a lot of other new stuff -- stuff that I have frankly been afraid to even touch. On the same shelf with a lot of other NDP bourbon and, even worse, a lot of "craft" (barely aged) rotgut (sorry to offend any small distillers). So I have been guilty of judging SA by the neighborhood it lives in. I've been seeing some buzz on here about it, and when I saw it was BOTM, I picked up a bottle.

I bought the SA OS 7yo, bottled 12/2013. The flavor seemed to me like a bolder Four Roses Single Barrel, but then, the finish! It goes straight to your upper palate and lingers deliciously forever. This is a very rare thing indeed. Not many bourbons have a finish that can hold a candle to this. I don't know if it's because my palate is "tuned in" to bourbon this week or what. I need to compare this side-by-side with some others, and I'll probably do that soon and post back, but I was surprised, even with the buzz on here, about how truly delicious this whiskey is.

Thanks to all who have pointed this out, and thanks to SA for their wonderful selections! Cheers to starting a whiskey company the right way -- by selling a quality product, establishing a benchmark, and taking the time for stocks to mature before releasing them out to the market.

Guru

For anyone in Louisville who has seen this, would you mind telling me:

where you saw it
    what age it was
    what recipe it was
    what proof it was
    cost per bottle

Id love to find a bottle of the 75% corn recipe and would love to know the above info on some.

Thanks!!

Enthusiast

Last week Eric had the 8 yr barrel proof rye, the 10 year old, the barrel proof, and the 7? year old 99 proof, all on his shelves at Packages & More in E'town. All were priced at 49.99

Guru

Having some 7 yr from TPS tonight. It's delightful. Big corn sweetness. Oily. Sandalwood with oregano, baking spice, and fine oak. Chili oil finish. It's pretty great stuff.

Advanced Taster

I absolutely love reading these posts. Thanks for supporting us, folks!

Guru

Thanks for stopping by, anytime you want to share some details about your products we''re all ears.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.