Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothAmbler View Post
    I absolutely love reading these posts. Thanks for supporting us, folks!
    Well you are quite open about your products.You are now distilling and aging your own product and what you already have on the shelf is at a great price what's not to like?
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

My brother-in-law visiting from Cincinnati brought me a bottle of the 8yr cask strength rye selected by TPS and it's fantastic! I like it better than the Willet 4yr rye which I'm pretty fond of.
    I decided to purchase the 10yr cask strength bourbon from Astor and have my eyes peeled for other options out there.

What bourbon is coming off the still? I thought I remember it being a wheated recipe but I could be having a not so senior moment.. My first taste was the single barrel from Kenwood which is hands down an amazing pour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

The Smooth Ambler spirit is wheated bourbon. The oldest of which is probably turning 4 years old over the next few months. The first release should be in the 18-24 month window, I think.

Guru

Cool, I didn't know that. So, that's going to be their standard mashbill? Do they have other mashbills too? Do I need to shut up and read the OP?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

They've got a lot of "one-off" experiments aging in addition to what will be their flagship bourbon. The recipe for yearling, their 2ish-year-old young bourbon has been a slightly different wheated bourbon than what they're aging long-term. Yearling has a ton of malted barley, compared to most bourbons. The future release will have more corn, less wheat and barley.

I've mentioned elsewhere, but they have a 50/50 whiskey that is wheat and rye, a wheat whiskey, a triple-malt whiskey with corn, malted rye, malted wheat, and malted barley, and some other things as well.

Guru

And they invited us to stop by for a sample. I may need to plan an early summer fly fishing trip to the area.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Squire, I am certain that John Little will be thrilled to share samples of anything they've got in the rickhouse. The Greenbrier Valley is a beautiful destination, our state would love to have you.

Guru

It is a very nice area. I've visited before and always planned to return when I had more time to stay awhile.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    And they invited us to stop by for a sample. I may need to plan an early summer fly fishing trip to the area.
    Fishing? Now, that's bringing things to a new level. You get here, we will put you on the fish. Ever floated the New River for smallies? That's a trip. Bring it. We'll make Yeti come too.