Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Just picked up a SAOS 7 year rye, batch 14. Probably won't open it for a while (got way too much stuff open right now), but I can't wait to try it!

Guru

I stopped in the one place I saw it a few months ago and it was all gone. Have to keep an eye out next time and be ready.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    I stopped in the one place I saw it a few months ago and it was all gone. Have to keep an eye out next time and be ready.
    Take a trip to E'town and see Eric.

Guru

if ever I went to E-town, I may. but, I never go that direction.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Take a trip to E'town and see Eric.
    BTW Steve, I'm sure that 4I also meant to say Thank You for the tip...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Got to try the 7yo rye and bourbon as well as the 10yo bourbon and the Yearling earlier this week (Not to mention the vodka, gin and barrel aged gin).

The Yearling was young but interesting enough to buy a 375ml. The batch I had was 1y, 7m old. The higher content of barley malt may explain the interesting grain forward nose but it was very pleasant to drink. The two 7yo whiskies were pleasant enough but the 10yo (at 99 proof I believe?) was excellent and also a buy. Although surprisingly the top choice of the evening was the K&L Faultline bourbon, reportedly a blend of 7 and 10yo bourbon (presumably both were the high rye mashbill) put together by Smooth Ambler and bottled in the same bottles as Old Scout.

I will watch for their newer wheated bourbon mashbill when it has reached maturity as a result.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

I have a bottle of the 7yr rye that is very good. The only one of their bourbons I've seen here is the 7yr and I intend to give it a whirl unless I happen to find one of the older bottles. I've been very impressed with everything that's been said by and about these guys and look forward to trying more of their stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Got to try the 7yo rye and bourbon as well as the 10yo bourbon and the Yearling earlier this week (Not to mention the vodka, gin and barrel aged gin).

The Yearling was young but interesting enough to buy a 375ml. The batch I had was 1y, 7m old. The higher content of barley malt may explain the interesting grain forward nose but it was very pleasant to drink. The two 7yo whiskies were pleasant enough but the 10yo (at 99 proof I believe?) was excellent and also a buy. Although surprisingly the top choice of the evening was the K&L Faultline bourbon, reportedly a blend of 7 and 10yo bourbon (presumably both were the high rye mashbill) put together by Smooth Ambler and bottled in the same bottles as Old Scout.

I will watch for their newer wheated bourbon mashbill when it has reached maturity as a result.
    The 10 is 100 proof, and Faultline is 7 year high rye, 10 year lower rye.

Connoisseur

Yeti - how are the 5, 6, and 7 year bourbons? I think they are all 99 to 100 proof. I see them for sale online and am tempted to pull the trigger.

Virtuoso

Sorry to leave this hanging. The standard Old Scout is rather good, and an easy recommendation around $30. I've gotten spoiled drinking lots of full strength single barrel stuff, but the 6-7 year standard bottle is very nice. I've described it as a point between FRSB and WT101. Don't know if anyone agrees with me, but you know what they say opinions are like