Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 2/14: Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Saw and bought my first bottle of SAOS 7 yr bourbon yesterday. Opened the bottle for a nitecap pour, wow! I really, really like this.

Stayed up an hour longer than I had planned and had another pour.

Smooth, not hot, but with taste of spice.

Now along with High West I have two NDP's that I will support with my wallet. Just hoping my dealer can get more in on a regular basis.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Sorry to leave this hanging. The standard Old Scout is rather good, and an easy recommendation around $30. I've gotten spoiled drinking lots of full strength single barrel stuff, but the 6-7 year standard bottle is very nice. I've described it as a point between FRSB and WT101. Don't know if anyone agrees with me, but you know what they say opinions are like

i'll buy one when i see it on the shelf. guy here told me where i can find some, now I just gotta find time to get to it. hopefully it leans more toward the WT101 profile than the FRSB...

Virtuoso

Had my first pour of an Old Scout 7 year 99 proof. I can see some similarity to FRSB and WT101, but the FRSB seems "brighter" to me on the palate, while there was a sandalwood note on the nose of the OS as well as a darker component, like a roasted pecan or hazelnut (maybe where it leans to the WT101?). At times it seemed a bit older with a lower rye percentage, like something between a McKenna 10 yr BIB or Ezra 12 yr SB. With a couple drops of water came some sweetness, but I slightly preferred it as is at the bottling strength.

Just the first pour (well, OK, there was a second one ... ) but my initial impressions are very positive - will be looking for more of their bottlings.
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    The 10 is 100 proof, and Faultline is 7 year high rye, 10 year lower rye.
    Thanks for the clarification. Whatever they used it really worked well to me.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    i'll buy one when i see it on the shelf. guy here told me where i can find some, now I just gotta find time to get to it. hopefully it leans more toward the WT101 profile than the FRSB...
    Found it more like the WT101 than the FRSB. Now anything 4R is my favorite and I've just rediscovered the joy of WT101. I'd put this right btween the two and I love em all.

Disciple

Just tried my second SA. The first was a SA 6-Year standard bottle (99 proof) which I really like. The second is a SA 8-Year BP store selection which is awesome! I am sold on SA. I have always like Willett WFE offerings and continue to. I would put SA on par with the Willett WFE. Both are doing great things. I look forward to their future offerings of their own distillate. Great job John! Also, good job to the Crown folks who selected this barrel.

Taster

I just had a sample of the 8 yr barrel proof old scout tonight. Wow was that great! I really wish I could get that here in MN. He had the 100 proof for sale, but I passed for tonight. I'll go back when my whiskey allowance refills. Actually I poured a second taste before he could take the bottle away from me. It was a personal bottle of a local liquor store owner.
    If anyone wants to pick one of these up for me, I'd be grateful.

Taster

Where in Indiana did you pick that up? A friend is heading back home to somewhere near Goshen next week. Maybe she can pick me up a bottle if its near.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Just tried my second SA. The first was a SA 6-Year standard bottle (99 proof) which I really like. The second is a SA 8-Year BP store selection which is awesome! I am sold on SA. I have always like Willett WFE offerings and continue to. I would put SA on par with the Willett WFE. Both are doing great things. I look forward to their future offerings of their own distillate. Great job John! Also, good job to the Crown folks who selected this barrel.

Taster

OS has been my favorite for many years now. I first tried it in a bar in Vegas. Our first pour was Pappy 20 - great stuff. But then we decided to try something new. The description of OS6 was intriguing and from that point on I was hooked. Wow! I don't miss not being able to find Pappy anymore. I started my search on a trip up through TN and KY. Found it in both states. Now it is available in GA and I'm stocking up on 10YO whenever I can. One of these days I'll find a Very Old Scout but until then I'll just dream. Also the BP is on my shopping list. Keep up the good work guys!

Connoisseur

I have been on the look out since all the favorable comments here. Today I found a bottle of 8 year old 108.4 proof bourbon. I really like it a lot. I may go back and buy another. I like it more than some of the FR store selections around the same proof and price.