Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

A local "moonshine" distillery is set to open - Wondertucky - Woodstock, IL

At some point, the moonshine market will be / or is saturated. Just like craft vodka, gin etc.
    The local draw is the selling point I guess. All local corn etc.

I have asked if they have any plans to age their whiskey - be it American, Bourbon or Rye.
    Last edited by Jono; 02-02-2014 at 13:56.

Guru

Re: A local "moonshine" distillery is set to open - Wondertucky - Woodstock, IL

I wouldn't mind unaged corn whisky being known as Moonshine, why not?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Like this?

http://moonshine.com/

Original MOONSHINEŽ Clear Corn Whiskey

http://olesmokymoonshine.com/products/original

"OLE SMOKY
    Original Moonshine

A true moonshine experience. Ole Smoky’s Original Moonshine is an unaged corn whiskey made from corn grown by local farmers in East Tennessee."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_whiskey

"Corn whiskey (sometimes Corn Liquor or "White Lightning") is an American liquor made from a mash made of at least 80 percent corn. It is based on the typical American moonshine, ..."

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blog...art-1-the-mash

"At Clawhammer Supply we’re sort of picky when it comes to moonshine and believe that pure all grain whiskey is the way to go when whipping up a batch of homemade hooch. We also prefer corn whiskey because it's naturally sweet, it’s smooth, and it’s tradition. "
    Last edited by Jono; 02-02-2014 at 16:30.

Guru

Something like that yes, gimmicky but well designed.

Connoisseur

Virginia Lightning, a 100 proof corn whiskey that I used to buy (still have some hip pints), was made at and by Belmont Farms of Virginia, 13490 Cedar Run Road, Culpeper, Virginia, in a 1930s copper pot still. The back label proudly proclaims "Less than 30 days old". The Jono reference above to moonshine.com takes one to Stillhouse Distillery, Culpeper, Virginia, (no street address on the website that I could find) which advertises a 100% corn whiskey called "Original Moonshine". Some obsessive searching by me confirmed that the latter maker/seller has the same street address as the former.

I have not done a SBS. The Virginia ABC price list shows VL 750ml 100proof is $18 while OM 750ml 80proof is $30. Go figure. The OM does have a fancier label.

Incidentally, the VaABC price list has a separate category called "Moonshine". Everclear is listed under "corn liquor". Just in case you're passing through Virginia.

Disciple

I am always willing to try new things but have been turned off by legal "moonshine" brands since I tried the "Ole Smokey" brand while visiting Gatlinburg. I remember guys trucking home cases of the stuff. I just didn't like it.

Guru

You could've stayed home and got that one as it's made in Indiana.

Disciple

Haha...I didn't know that! I have never really looked at the label. I have only tasted it in a bar.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    You could've stayed home and got that one as it's made in Indiana.
    You sure about that, S? I thought that Old Smoky is distilled in TN?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

That's the word I get Joe, that sales figures greatly exceed the distilling capacity of the equipment on display. Of course with over 9 million visitors a year to the GSMNP there's a lot of tourist traffic on the Parkway there in Gatlinburg.