Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

A very pleasent surprise: Knob Creek Single Barrel (private selection)

Yes, the 120 proof, 9 yr one that claims it's both a "small batch" and a "single barrel" which is apparently "reserved." Aside from that nonsense, wow...

I've had standard KC before, but this barrel had to be one of the most vicious and buttery bourbons I think I've ever tried. Granted it was in a plastic cup, but it stuck to the sides of it like 10W-40.

It also "kicked" late in the mid palate after maybe 3-4 seconds, presumably because of the mouth was so heavy it delayed the alcohol.

I'd describe it as pancake syrup soaked graham crackers with a hint of smokey raw butter melted on top.

Complexity wise, it wasn't anything to write home to mom about. Fairly one-sided, but I'd really need some time with it in a proper glass, some H20 and air to be the final judge.

Beyond my expectations at $39.99. Something I'm used to passing by on the shelf all day, everyday until I just happened to ask for a sip one day on a whim.

Anyone else into this stuff??

Guru

Re: A very pleasent surprise: Knob Creek Single Barrel (private selection)

I've bought one bottle, which I liked well enough, but wasn't blown away by. But I have tried other private selections which were pretty awesome. Sounds like you got a good one though!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post

I'd describe it as pancake syrup soaked graham crackers with a hint of smokey raw butter melted on top.
    I like this description.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Disciple

I've had a couple excellent ones myself. Binny's has had some great picks and one that I really took a liking to was a cherry bomb.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

yip. its like a 2 year older version of Booker's, at $10 less to boot!

Ive got 8 of em stashed, from that half price d/c sale at the local pharmacy last spring...and one more just given to me a few weeks ago at a party. im gonna say it again....the new label is rediculously cheap looking, wherreas the old print-on-bottle label was classy and visually appealing. someone should lose a job for that
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Connoisseur

Agree, very underrated bourbon. I always have it available and prefer it over Stagg Jr (taste) and Booker's (price). The LB and Kroger barrel selects here are always very good.

Advanced Taster

Same mash as Booker's and nearly the same proof, yet the polar opposite taste profile. Nice work, Fred et al.

Guru

Same mash as Booker's and nearly the same proof, yet the polar opposite taste profile.

really? i find them more alike than dissimilar....which one is better depends on my mood that night
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    really? i find them more alike than dissimilar....which one is better depends on my mood that night
    http://cdn.bourbonbanter.com/wp-cont...ter.jpg?090fad

Well, I'd put Booker's high into the wood, sweet stone fruit and brown spice category. This KC bottles goes on the other side into the cereal gain with only a few characteristics shared with Booker's.

Every bourbon is going to have vanilla, brown sugar, caramel and maple syrup of some degree as those are grain malt characteristics kicked off the still. The rest comes from yeast and wood maturation at varying degrees. My opinion.

It drives me nuts when people talk about whiskey having "spice" to it when all they're experiencing is the effect of alcohol in their face (olfactory and tip of the tongue working together). And it's easy to test: take a small sip and just let it sit on the tip of your tongue to about 1/3 the way up it and then hold your breath. Taste any "spice?" No, not burn, actual spices like you put in your food or get from food. So you can see why higher proof bourbon is said to be spicy because alcohol has a drying effect and if there are in fact those undertones underneath the booze, you end up with them on the finish (ie cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, etc).

Advanced Taster

Yes, the 120 proof, 9 yr one that claims it's both a "small batch" and a "single barrel" which is apparently "reserved." Aside from that nonsense, wow...

I've had standard KC before, but this barrel had to be one of the most vicious and buttery bourbons I think I've ever tried. Granted it was in a plastic cup, but it stuck to the sides of it like 10W-40.

It also "kicked" late in the mid palate after maybe 3-4 seconds, presumably because of the mouth was so heavy it delayed the alcohol.

Complexity wise, it wasn't anything to write home to mom about. Fairly one-sided, but I'd really need some time with it in a proper glass, some H20 and air to be the final judge.

Beyond my expectations at $39.99. Something I'm used to passing by on the shelf all day, everyday until I just happened to ask for a sip one day on a whim.

I've been doing the same (passing it by on shelves) for the past year, but I've recently been eyeing it every liquor store trip. I'll have to give it a whirl one of these days. Its been a tough sell for me, since I'm not really a big fan of std KC, and the increased price over KC has kept me away. I'll give it a try soon, once I get the RR bunkered i'm buying up currently (its on sale $4 off this month). I never thought of it with respect to being a 2 yrs older, slightly less expensive, slightly lower proof Booker's. In Pa they're very close price-wise, I think Booker's is $52 but last month on sale for $47, and KC Single Barrel Reserve is $46.99 but I haven't seen it on sale yet. Pretty much the same price here. If I see it on sale I will def gobble up a few bottles.
    Last edited by jmj_203; 07-09-2014 at 08:54.