Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from KS!

Hello from KS!

Hey all. Just wanted to drop by and say hi. I've been observing this site for awhile after finding it via a google search for more information on Bourbon.
    I'm from the Kansas City Metro area and have been enjoying Bourbon for about a year and a half now, along with scotches and other such fine drinks.

My current favorite Bourbon is Basil Hayden, which I am sadly out of. However, I am forcing myself to diversify and try some things I might not otherwise - picking up some cheaper stuff to try and get myself familier and oriented with different bottles and styles.

I look forward to learning!

Connoisseur

Re: Hello from KS!

Welcome aboard, Doc! Glad to have you join the conversation. I used to like Basil Hayden better than I do now. My 'palate' has evolved toward seeking a deeper, richer sort of profile. You may find yours does as well... or not! ....And, that's fine.
    Everybody likes what they like, and many will disagree with my preferences, as you may, and that's fine, too.
    BH is certainly well-crafted Bourbon, and very reliable as to it's consistent profile.
    What others have you tried and liked... or disliked???

Guru

Hey Doc, welcome aboard, by all means try the Old Grand Dad 100 proof Bottled in Bond and the 114 proof as well. They are essentially higher proof versions of Basil Hayden.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Welcome to SB, Doc. You found a great place to learn about Bourbon. When Basil Hayden, Baker's, Bookers, and Knob Creek came out, I learned there was a world beyond the basic brown whiskeys I was used to. I'm still learning. The info on SB should make your learning curve a lot easier - and more fun - to travel. It certainly has made mine fun.

Thanks for the welcome all.

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    What others have you tried and liked... or disliked???
    I've had the EC 12 year, which I did not care for at all. I think I will need to revisit it in the future and try it with a splash of water. Same with the Russel Reserve. I also didn't have much use for the regular Four Roses (I haven't tried the small batch or single barrelt yet). I've not done much bourbon with any added water and only a bit on ice. One of my goals is to try various bourbons neat, with water, and with ice as I go along.
    I enjoy Knob, ER 10 year, and bulliet. I have tried bookers, and I really liked that, and I have worked down a bottle of Blantons, which is good - but not as good as I expected. Will probably need to revisit in the future.

Enthusiast

Hey Doc, Cheers! If you didn't like the EC12, (which is one of my go to's),try it over some ice that might change the profile for you, otherwise Buffalo trace would be a good one to pick up, or even any of the Evan williams line. See you around!
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    Hey Doc, Cheers! If you didn't like the EC12, (which is one of my go to's),try it over some ice that might change the profile for you, otherwise Buffalo trace would be a good one to pick up, or even any of the Evan williams line. See you around!
    I'll do that. Thanks!

Sent via Tapatalk carrier pigeon
    Using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

You're taste preferences, so far, are more than a little like mine (except for not liking the EC12, which I like very well).
    You'll find something to like in many things from The Buffalo, I bet. Whatever your tastes evolve to ... Don't start to "like" something because someone else... or even a bunch of 'em tells you it's good.
    Like what you drink, and drink what you like, that's what I say!

Hi Doc welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy your time spent here. Come join us in chat some time its in the lower left hand corner of your screen. I live just north of you just over the Iowa border in Clarinda.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    You're taste preferences, so far, are more than a little like mine (except for not liking the EC12, which I like very well).
    You'll find something to like in many things from The Buffalo, I bet. Whatever your tastes evolve to ... Don't start to "like" something because someone else... or even a bunch of 'em tells you it's good.
    Like what you drink, and drink what you like, that's what I say!

True that! Taking it slow and trying to enjoy everything I try one way or another.
    Using Tapatalk