Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Effects of Lower Barrel Proof On Aging?

This post over at David's K&L blog titled "Rum Super Geekdom" is on point relative this discussion and about how flavors are created and pulled from the wood. Way more chemistry than I typically enjoy but this is the sort of thing I was hoping we would see more of from Craft Distillers. It's interesting that after all his talk about concentrating flavor molecules and efficently getting more into the spirit the product he is selling is primarily a mixing Rum, not a sipper.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/

Guru

After reading that I'm glad Bourbon producers don't use Dunder.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Gives meaning to the term "Dunderhead".

And new understanding relative the Bat on the Bacardi logo.
    Last edited by sailor22; 02-06-2014 at 11:25.

Guru

I understand it also makes good fertilizer.

Taster

Wow, I need to dust off my chemistry textbook. And maybe buy some of that guy's rum.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    You can though point to guys like Jim Rutledge who do have the experience and agree with you.
    Agreed. He tends to lower proofs off the still ... as does Jimmy Russell. They'll each tell you that it cost more to make it that way but they think it a value as it has better flavor.
    I guess the drinkers decide.
    Jon

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    This post over at David's K&L blog titled "Rum Super Geekdom" is on point relative this discussion and about how flavors are created and pulled from the wood. Way more chemistry than I typically enjoy but this is the sort of thing I was hoping we would see more of from Craft Distillers. It's interesting that after all his talk about concentrating flavor molecules and efficently getting more into the spirit the product he is selling is primarily a mixing Rum, not a sipper.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/
    He's also distilling whiskey. Not bourbon, but rather peated whiskey. I suppose he uses similar techniques for distilling and aging his whiskies. I've never had any of Lost Spirits Distillery's products (hmm, just realized their initials are LSD ), but I've heard good things about their whiskies.

The article was informative, to me at least, even though I always got lousy grades in chemistry class. There has been a lot of discussion on this board about how the big boys have increased proof of the still over time, and sacrificed mouth-feel and flavor profile (but partially regaining some flavor by longer barrel aging, and perhaps higher/barrel-proof offerings), with the end goal of increased profits. But after reading the post on the K&L blog, I'm starting to think that the opposite end of the spectrum could offer a better (i.e., win-win) solution. If a distiller takes lower proof off the still, there will be more flavor esters (if you accept the premise of the article), and you will have a more flavorful bourbon in a shorter period of time. You should also theoretically have more distillate to barrel (and therefore more mature bourbon when it is fully aged). Sure, the up front costs will be higher (more barrels, more storage costs, etc.), but you end up with more bottles of booze, right? And these should have a better flavor profile than what we currently have (again, in theory); better booze for us. And the increased volume (less angel's share loss from a shorter maturation process) means more for the distilleries to sell, and that means more profit for them. Sounds like an optimal solution to me.

But I'm not a decision maker.

Guru

A fine sermon sir, unfortunately it was directed to the choir.

Advanced Taster

Ah, yes, I was afraid of that. Guess I just needed to vent.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
    He's also distilling whiskey. Not bourbon, but rather peated whiskey. I suppose he uses similar techniques for distilling and aging his whiskies. I've never had any of Lost Spirits Distillery's products (hmm, just realized their initials are LSD ), but I've heard good things about their whiskies.
    According to an earlier post from David D. he lost his entire whiskey operation to TCA or "cork taint".

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...rns-again.html
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum