Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Lot 40 Canadian Rye

After reading a good deal of online hype I took the plunge and picked up a bottle of the Lot 40 Canadian Rye, 2012 release ($60). It's an all-rye mashbill (90% rye, 10% malted rye), age statement unknown but it's not a total baby. Classic rye nose, with more floral scents than I normally get from Canadian 100% rye mashbills (Jeff10, WP). They also avoid the mint-bomb effect that 100% rye can bring out. Flavor was sweeter than I expected- not overwhelmingly so but a balance to the rye spices that was really nice. How did they get that without any corn? Finish was long and lip-smacking, mind shouting "take another sip!".

This may sound crazy but it reminded me of a younger version of the Saz 18. There's a nice balance of sweet and spice, all the flavors are more dialed-up but not aggressively so. I'm very happy at $60, not sure how available this is or if it will be around, would love to see it regularly on shelves / bars.

Guru

Re: Lot 40 Canadian Rye

Good description Pike, shows what 100% rye can do.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Thanks for the great description. I also gave in and have one on the way.

Novice

Saw a few of these on the shelf a few days ago, but opted for 8y old scout intstead. Will definately go back for it soon.

Connoisseur

I had to "settle" for Wiser's Legacy recently but have been casually looking for a Lot 40 for a couple months. Please PM me if you know of a store in WashDC that carries it. I can't find one. TIA

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    I had to "settle" for Wiser's Legacy recently but have been casually looking for a Lot 40 for a couple months.
    If you like the Legacy, I think you will love the Lot 40. I was told by Don Livermore (master blender) that the Legacy contains a significant amount of the same whisky that makes up the Lot 40.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    If you like the Legacy, I think you will love the Lot 40. I was told by Don Livermore (master blender) that the Legacy contains a significant amount of the same whisky that makes up the Lot 40.
    More good news as I have a Wiser's Legacy in the same shipment as the Lot 40.

Harry, Caskers has the Lot 40 (if they ship to where you live).

Virtuoso

One of the best "young" ryes available today. I was surprised at how good this is, and it completely lives up to the hype. Something to bunker if you can.

And yes, Legacy is not too shabby either. I'm stashing those away also.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    I had to "settle" for Wiser's Legacy recently but have been casually looking for a Lot 40 for a couple months. Please PM me if you know of a store in WashDC that carries it. I can't find one. TIA
    Pikesville: thanks for the notes. I was deciding b/n Wiser's Legacy and Lot 40 a month ago, and went for Wiser's, based on price. You've got me thinking I might go back for Lot 40.

I didn't care for Wiser's Legacy when I first opened it--too bland. I came back a month later, and it's now one of my favorite open bottles. Not sure if the bottle changed, or I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

I bought one of these over the weekend and have had a few pours.

My dad is a Canadian whiskey drinker so I gave him a bottle of the 90s Lot no 40 release for his birthday last spring and we drank some together. I remember that version having some really nice clove-anise on the finish, starting a few seconds after swallowing. This new version doesn't have those same notes, but is still nice.

I feel like a broken record sometimes, but this whiskey could be pretty great at high proof. As it is, I wouldn't buy it again at $55, but I do like it for a lighter pour.