Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Lot 40 Canadian Rye

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    I feel like a broken record sometimes, but this whiskey could be pretty great at high proof. As it is, I wouldn't buy it again at $55, but I do like it for a lighter pour.
    I hear you brother!
    Given that most of the swill on the Canadian shelf is bottled at 40%, and the glacial pace the industry moves at, 43% is an accomplishment! I too would love to see it at the same strength (45%) as its sibling - Wiser's Legacy.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Advanced Taster

I find Lot 40 to be an excellent 100% rye. The taste differences between the 100% rye WhistlePig or Masterson's - as compared to the 100% Lot 40 - shows the skill and art of the blender/distiller.

Since I'm in MI, across the river from Windsor, Ont., I can fairly easily pop across the border and pick up a bottle for ~ US $40. I'm glad to see that it's now distributed in the U.S. (at least, in some states), but unfortunately at a much higher price point (~$60).

Shell

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    I find Lot 40 to be an excellent 100% rye. The taste differences between the 100% rye WhistlePig or Masterson's - as compared to the 100% Lot 40 - shows the skill and art of the blender/distiller.

Since I'm in MI, across the river from Windsor, Ont., I can fairly easily pop across the border and pick up a bottle for ~ US $40. I'm glad to see that it's now distributed in the U.S. (at least, in some states), but unfortunately at a much higher price point (~$60).

Shell
    I may be washed up here but I thought I read somewhere the mashbill was 90/10 rye/malted barley.

Either way I am going to try and pick up a bottle and try it out.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    I may be washed up here but I thought I read somewhere the mashbill was 90/10 rye/malted barley.
    It's 90% rye and 10% malted rye. That makes me wonder if WhistlePig also has a small % of malted rye though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Kpiz View Post
    It's 90% rye and 10% malted rye. That makes me wonder if WhistlePig also has a small % of malted rye though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Possibly, I thought I also read somewhere that no malted barley was used and it was an enzymatic reaction in 100% rye mash.

Guru

I'll go with the 90/10 recipe, the important thing being it's all rye.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

Does anyone know anything about non-2012 branded Lot 40's? I picked up a bottle, but doesn't mention 2012 like other reviews/descriptions.
    My Whiskey Review Blog: Whiskey Lately

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

This is probably a bottle from one of the earlier years' production. All Lot 40 is very similar, in fact I just bought a bottle of the 2012 that reminded me of Lot 40 from 10 years ago. Perhaps as the stocks are selling well, recent bottlings are from younger batches and the taste is coming around to what it was originally. (The first 2012 bottles struck me as older-tasting than the bottles of 10-15 years ago). Anyway, it doesn't matter, you have a bottle of the genuine and that's all that matters.

Gary

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    This is probably a bottle from one of the earlier years' production. All Lot 40 is very similar, in fact I just bought a bottle of the 2012 that reminded me of Lot 40 from 10 years ago. Perhaps as the stocks are selling well, recent bottlings are from younger batches and the taste is coming around to what it was originally. (The first 2012 bottles struck me as older-tasting than the bottles of 10-15 years ago). Anyway, it doesn't matter, you have a bottle of the genuine and that's all that matters.

Gary
    The label and bottle looks exactly like the other's but no 2012 banner. I can take a picture when we get back. There was a full shelf and the store didn't have an inventory to make me think I got something old. I'd guess this is a newer bottling. Thx.
    My Whiskey Review Blog: Whiskey Lately

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well it's hard to say, maybe the ones being marketed (from latest stocks) have the 2012 removed. But the whisky itself will be very good.

Gary