Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Bottles that have been NURSED for years

I don't drink the mass quantities that some do here...

...and I go through a decent amount of ETL, EH Taylor, Weller 12, OGD 114, WT101, etc....

BUT...I have a few special bottles that I have been sipping from (nursing) for many years and spraying with nitrogen to keep them from going downhill even faster than they are!

• Pappy 20 year (open 9 years)
    • Hirsch 20 year (open 12 years)
    • Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (open 9 years)
    • Weller 19 year (open 8 years)
    • Olde St. Nick 20 year (open 13 years)

Every time I take a taste of one, it thrills me, but it chills me that I can no longer get any more (unless I have a spare body part I agree to donate)...

What bottles are you nursing? Do you believe in nursing? Do you have a nursing degree? Do you live in a nursing home?

Guru

Re: Bottles that have been NURSED for years

Damn Oboe, that's impressive. The longest I've had a bottle open is just under 2 years I believe. Currently, the longest open are:

4RSmBLE 2012
    4RSmBLE 2011
    JPS 17 Batch 3
    PHC 2010 (4th edition)

A couple of these have actually been poured into smaller bottles instead of using nitrogen.
    Insert TheNovaMan's signature here (___________)

Connoisseur

HA! Cute questions, Oboe.
    I do not 'nurse' any per se. I have taken a few out of the 'everyday lineup' and make sure not to quaff any of the juice, except when I truly want to savor and slowly enjoy 'em. I think I have about 5-bottles that fit the category. That said, they don't usually last more than a few years or so. The only extra care I give 'em is to decant 'em into smaller containers whenever that seems appropriate.

Advanced Taster

Yea, my oldest open is also at just under 2 years right now, PVW 20. And there's not much left in it, a few more pours probably.
    Last edited by dcbt; 02-04-2014 at 15:13.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oboe Cadobro View Post
    Do you believe in nursing? Do you have a nursing degree? Do you live in a nursing home?
    Was engaged to a nurse . . . coupla times.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Usually I keep maybe no more than a half dozen open at one time. I try to have a variety, different distilleries, different styles. No individual lasts as long as a year (much less time if I like it). There is one exception. I have a bottle of Old Overholt that's been in there like 4 - 5 years. Maybe I should donate it to a nursing home.

Connoisseur

Nurses like bourbon and so do I. Therefore, I generally try to keep enough nurses around to go through my open bottle pretty quickly.

Enthusiast

Fairly new to bourbon but I am nursing two bottles:

Wild Turkey American spirit, distilled the year my oldest son was born, just shared a drink of it with him on his last birthday, and hopefully for many more to come.

Wild Turkey Tradition, distilled the year my youngest son was born. He just turned 19, so a couple of more years we will be drinking that to toast his birthdays as well.

Advanced Taster

My lovely wife is a nurse who enjoys bourbon with me. I usually keep 3 open. I always have a high-ender open from the BTAC collection. Currently it is a 2012 GTS that has been open for a year. I then have a bottom shelfer and a mid shelfer open or a mid level bourbon and a rye. Currently I have an AA and a Kirkland 103/7 open with the Stagg.

Disciple

I think every guy in my class but one drinks whiskey/bourbon, strange since theres not that many men in that field.