Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Novice

Re: Bottles that have been NURSED for years

Quote Originally Posted by BTshorty View Post
    I also have 50+ open bottles that I love to slowly enjoy and share. I sometimes rifle through some bottles faster, but
    there's always some bottle calling - "Hey, come visit me !" Or some new purchase begging to be tried. Currently don't
    have many open more than a couple of years, but I know there will be more. May be incorrect handling practice to the purist,
    but just having too much fun with the current variety !!
    Just did a walk through and found I actually have a Handy, Bookers, and a 1.75 Crown Royal that have been
    open about 5-6 years..
    Tomorrow is guaranteed to NO ONE. So enjoy a whiskey today !

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BTshorty View Post
    Just did a walk through and found I actually have a Handy, Bookers, and a 1.75 Crown Royal that have been
    open about 5-6 years..
    I noticed yesterday I have a crown royal that must be open 6-7 years by now. I don't even ever remember drinking crown. Ever. I used to buy it for girls I think back in my bachelor days hah.

Guru

I have bottles of Rock Hill Farms, The Balvenie, Remy-Martin XO, and Courvoissier that have been nursed for years. The two cognacs were purchased in Martinique in 1990.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I rarely do this, either finishing them fairly quickly or blending them. However, I have two ryes I've kept about a year in a warm part of the room and both are affected IMO by oxidation, that tell-tale "earthy/dirty metallic note". They were half full, too. Recently, I tasted from a number of bottles in an office after work, a friend of mine, and had the ditto experience. I could tell the bottles had been opened and closed quite often and noticed that he didn't close them until the session was over, which presumably was the practice on his previous tastings. This has lead me to think that unless the bottles are kept on the cool side, well-sealed and not opened constantly, there is a real risk of oxidation. I think temperature may be the most important factor.

The simple reason this does not happen in cask in a hot warehouse is, IMO, the much higher alcohol content of the cask, and the wood environment, all that tannin and char.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-17-2014 at 07:05.

Taster

I have a dozen or so bottles open right now, which is way too many (would prefer maybe 4-5). Of those, I plan on finishing 10 within the next year. The other 2 are definitely special occasions-only. They're both still quite fresh and have been opened less than 6 months, but I've done my best to make them last. Used Nitrogen spray and they're sitting down in my basement storage in complete darkness with a temp range of 50-70 F throughout the year.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    What's the rule of thumb for when to do the nitrogen thing?
    I have a lot of open bottles at any given time. I just try to gas the whole collection once or twice a year.