Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Bottles that have been NURSED for years

I was going to say that I did not have an open bottle over 12 months but then remembered a buddy go me an EC18 a couple years ago and it is just not my favorite thing so it is taking a while to get it gone, maybe I should make some more effort on it soon, or just mix it with some Vernor's ginger ale.

Best regards, Tony

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Oboe Cadobro View Post
    • Pappy 20 year (open 9 years)
    • Hirsch 20 year (open 12 years)
    • Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (open 9 years)
    • Weller 19 year (open 8 years)
    • Olde St. Nick 20 year (open 13 years)

What bottles are you nursing?
    You have me beat, I still have half a bottle of VWFRR originally purchased and opened July 2009. I don't want it to hit 5yrs, just waiting for the warmer months.

As far as nursing goes, obviously I don't have anything against it. Nothing wrong with hanging on as long as you can to something you probalby won't ever see again.
    Last edited by miller542; 02-05-2014 at 15:14.

Enthusiast

Most of mine are nursed. If they lost any flavor I can't quantify it:

PVW20 from '10 (Opened in '13)
    PVW15 from '08 (opened in '10)
    ORVW10 Opened in 2010
    '09 WLW Opened in '11
    AHH16 Opened in '09

I've revisited all of them (except the WLW) in the last two months and still find them all to taste great.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Enthusiast

I have about 60 open bottles that I love to filter thru all the time! Rarely do they last more than 2 yrs. tops, only because I have so many open ,so you can bounce around between them, the only problem is they kind of all go at once then!But hey you guys need to drink that stuff more often, I can't imagine leaving a bottle open for 9 yrs. Pure physics.. that stuff is going to change once it makes contact with air! However insignificant it may be! Drink my friends.....tomorrow never comes!
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Guru

I have a handful that are open now 2+ yrs, although not from intentional nursing as much as an abundance of open bottles. One exception is my first and only WLW (2010, but opened in April 2011). I don't know why I'm afraid to finish it without another WLW behind it - but fear isn't always rational Others (like a 1792RR) is still there just because I've found more bottles I like better (but I don't dislike it enough to give it away or pour it out). I don't use nitrogen, although things open 2+ years get decanted into 375s when they're less than half full.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by miller542 View Post
    You have me beat, I still have half a bottle of VWFRR originally purchased and opened July 2009. I don't want it to hit 5yrs, just waiting for the warmer months.

As far as nursing goes, obviously I don't have anything against it. Nothing wrong with hanging on as long as you can to something you probalby won't ever see again.
    I'll come help you with that VWFRR
    Jim

Novice

I also have 50+ open bottles that I love to slowly enjoy and share. I sometimes rifle through some bottles faster, but
    there's always some bottle calling - "Hey, come visit me !" Or some new purchase begging to be tried. Currently don't
    have many open more than a couple of years, but I know there will be more. May be incorrect handling practice to the purist,
    but just having too much fun with the current variety !!

Connoisseur

I've got a Saz 18 thats been open since Christmas 2012, probably has a little less than 25% left. Has held up well.

Disciple

None but I've only been drinking Bourbon for a year and until I joined SB I never had more than one or two bottles on the shelf. Of course there has been a dramatic change in that scenario.

Novice

I keep a dozen or so things open to hit on...oldest probably 09 PVW 15, EC18, Handy 11, FRsmb11